Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 CVT Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Angry A6 CVT Transmission Problem

I have a 2002 A6 3.0L with the CVT. I won't get into the well documented problems with the CVT. I am more concerned about whether or not I really need to spend $9,000 to replace the whole transmission (which I don't have). If there was a problem with the tranny then my question is why is it sporadic? Sometimes it works fine and other times it will start with the flashing PRND lights. Sometimes it will clunk (dump) into drive and other times it won't. If there is a functional problem with the tranny, how could it be sporadic? Wouldn't this be the control module? Is this a situation like when you take your car in for brakes and they say "well your rotors are worn too, so you need new rotors " when in reality you just need new brake pads.

Someone please let me know if you have any experience with this. I can't find any shop that will touch a CVT other then Audi, I don't have $9k and if I did, my car is only worth $9k.
Any advise?
Phoenix, AZ

Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Site Moderator

It depends on what the symptoms are with the CVT, there are several TSB's that have repairs from re-building the transmission, to TCM, to replacment of the trans. 9k is a pretty steep price to change it out, probably a quote from north scottsdale i would imagine. If the dealer diagnosed it and said it needs a new gearbox, it most likely needs a new gearbox. I have replaced many CVT transmissions, but for around 7k.