Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 F6 Quattro vs FWD models?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 AM
1st Gear
Question A6 F6 Quattro vs FWD models?

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a preowned A6 6 cylinder in the next year. I'm from Australia and over here an 05-06 A6 goes for around about the same money as a B7 A4 with a 6 cylinder engine. So logically I'd buy an A6 because its defiantly more luxurious.

Now, quotto's tend to go for about $5000 more on average. Plus they usually have a few more kilometres on the odometer in the price-range I'm looking at.

I've heard the quottro does not use the CVT gearbox which has had many reported issues and the FWD does.

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction? Is a quottro worth the extra expense?

PS
For the budget I am looking at, I doubt it will be under warranty.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear

If you're not under full warranty I would probably stay away from the CVT tranny. We all enjoy our quattro here and personally I feel that without it you just have another german sedan.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 AM
1st Gear

I'm not going with the CVT thats for sure. A6 quattro would be my preference. I'm not a big A4 sedan fan when you can get the A6 for a similar pre-owned price. Plus there are not many V6 A4,s around.

BUT; my wife finally wants to learn to drive. So she wants a smaller car. As I'm not an A4 sedan fan, perhaps I gotta start looking at BMW 3 series or MB C-class. Of course getting an A6 and a small Toyota would seam logical, but we really don't need two cars. We are too close to public transport to justify having two or any sort of car.

I'm not going for a hatchback car, I really don't like hatchbacks myself (just a personal preference, nothing against hatchbacks or their owners).

Last edited by anonymousmoose; 02-26-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 AM
2nd Gear

If you don't need quattro, don't buy it. Why spend the extra money on something you don't need?
If you don't need quattro, why buy an Audi? The quattro system is great in the snow. But, other than that, the Audi has nothing special going for it. Nice interior, but others have better.

Good luck and be sure to read the stickies.

Bob

Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
If you don't need quattro, don't buy it. Why spend the extra money on something you don't need?
If you don't need quattro, why buy an Audi? The quattro system is great in the snow. But, other than that, the Audi has nothing special going for it. Nice interior, but others have better.

Good luck and be sure to read the stickies.

Bob
Quottro Audi's do not use the controversial CVT gearbox. Thats good enough reason for me.