Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Front Brake Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Default A6 Front Brake Woes

I recently changed front rotors and pads on my 2000 Audi A6. They immediately warped. I turned them and replaced pads again. They warped again. I took it to NTB and they said I needed calipers. I replaced them (not cheap), turned the rotors and replaced the pads (again). They warped. I'm frustrated and going broke on this. What could be could be causeing this? Other then the warping the brakes behave fine. No ABS or other lights on. Any ideas?????

Old 08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 Front Brake Woes

I hope this is not the problem with mine as well. I just took my car in yesterday to the dealer because my front rotors were warped. The dealer said heat could cause them to warp like that. I figured it gets pretty hot were i work and that might have done it. anyways I intend to replace them with slotted rotors next time so the can cool down faster between braking. I have a 2001 Audi a6 4.2

Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM

I hope so too. It's not much fun. Only thing I can think I did wrong might be that the new rotors are after market. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear

There's no way ambient temperature gets hot enough to warp rotors. All the plastic components in your car would melt first.

Fast driving and hard braking will cause the rotor and pads to heat up rapidly. Brake fade is actually the pads being too hot to properly grip the rotor. What could cause warping at this point is driving in the rain or hitting a puddle. The rapid cool down from the water bath is a likely culprit for causing your rotor to warp.

Are you sure it's from your rotors being warped and not your ABS activating?

I'm also surprised that you were able to get that many "turns" out of the rotors. I was under the impression that stock rotors could be turned once only.

PS - I've had a slight pulse in my brakes since I bought the car 67k ago, used. The dealership said it was due to them getting hot, then wet. I had the rear rotors replaced and the fronts turned last week with new pads. No pulse at all now.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

I have had rotors warp from heat build up after breaking even without getting them wet but that was always on a car that had undersized rotors, I replaced them with a better quality aftermarket rotor with slotting and that took care of the problem. On my 2000 Avant I had a slight warping issue but that came down to improperly torqued lugs, After purchasing a torque wrench I have not had that problem. In general I don't think the A6 rotors are undersized for normal everyday driving. I am not saying thats what is going on with yours but its worth a look.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the input. My A6 has the upgraded large rotors. Definatley not undersized. I'm in Austin, Tx and we have had a crazy rainy summer. Could be part of it I guess. The rotors I put on it were aftermarket. Maybe I need to go with Audi original rotors? I definantly am guilty of excessive speed but that's why I bought a nice German sedan.