Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which A6 to get??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

C6 got a much better 6-speed tranny... and the V8 in them has a timing chain, no more belt!!!
As an ex-SAAB guy, maybe thats why I try to be so helpfull... LOL

Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2001A6
C6 got a much better 6-speed tranny... and the V8 in them has a timing chain, no more belt!!!
As an ex-SAAB guy, maybe thats why I try to be so helpfull... LOL
lol...do they still make cars with Belts? The SAAB has a chain. So, what did you have and why did you leave SAAB. I can guess at some of the reasons. This is my first and likely last SAAB. (as you can see I'm interested in something more refined, such as Audi A6).
I was actually looking at 9-5s and would hand my 9-3 to the wife, but she said I would be MAD to look at another SAAB considering the back luck we had in the first year alone. GM ruined the brand and now they're looking to sell it off. Admittedly I thought they were the ugliest cars before the new sedan style in 2003, but now I find myself drawn to them, especially the older styles which I once thought were very unsightly.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

I too like the old SAABs much better than the new ones.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM
1st Gear

As we speak, General Motors Corp.’s Swedish-based subsidiary Saab filed for bankruptcy protection Friday so the unit can be spun off or sold by its struggling U.S. parent, officials said.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by the G man
As we speak, General Motors Corp.’s Swedish-based subsidiary Saab filed for bankruptcy protection Friday so the unit can be spun off or sold by its struggling U.S. parent, officials said.
...and more info since ...

Saab to restructure as independent unit to avoid bankruptcy

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - Beleaguered Swedish carmaker Saab Automobile will undergo restructuring as an independent unit to stave off bankruptcy after it was abandoned by its owner General Motors (NYSE: GM - news) , Saab (Stockholm: SAABB.ST - news) and GM said Friday.

read more here: http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/20022009/32...bankruptcy.html

GM said the move was aimed at creating "a fully independent business entity that would be sustainable and suitable for investment."

"As part of the process, Saab will formulate its proposal for reorganisation, which will include the concentration of design, engineering and manufacturing in Sweden," GM said.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

crap, that link above was bad.
anyway, here's an article on the green light for restructuring:

http://www.thelocal.se/17726/20090220/

Swedish government is Not going to let SAAB die... all they have is Volvo(Ford), SAAB, some chocolate and a few hockey players. They have to protect SAAB, which every single vehicle in production today (except the 9-7 (Envoy) is still manufactured and assembled in Trollhatten, Sweden. Employing many Swedes.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

Umm, not totally sure. The 2.0T does in the B7s, chain in the B8s (A4s) The V8s are all chain after 05, but I dont know about the V6. The VR6 does, but that doesnt really help you. The problem with the belt, is you must change it every 80-90k miles, and its like a $1500 job!

This makes me excited!!! With SAAB back in the hands of the swedes, will it be possible for them to get back to the good old days...
I grew up around classic 900s. My Dad had a 85 SPG, with a few goodies, and 265xxx miles on it. My Mom had a 85 900 sedan, with 225xxx on it. They had about 5 900s all togeather, just because they loved toying with them. Also had a few way classic SAABs, a 95 wagon, a Sonett III, and I currently still have what was slated to be my first car, a restored 96 V4, which never get done. After the 900s, my Dad bought a 98 TDI, its been VW ever since.
Once we realized the 96 wasnt gonna be done, I started looking at next gen 900s, and some 93s, hoping for a viggen. Couldnt find any that werent real POS's. Started looking at used VWs, god damn those are expensive, then found out that Audis are cheap to buy... Now I have my A6.

End of long freaking story... LOL.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:50 PM

I would definitely look for a newer generation A6 (2006+) with the 4.2 V8. The throttle response is amazing----maybe the newer V6s can match it but the V8 is one reason I bought the A6. Good luck.