Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 head rebuilt gone wrong need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:41 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 head rebuilt gone wrong need help

I have a 3.2 BKH engine. Passenger head went and rebuilt it installed the engine and it's only running on 3 cylinders. The passenger side isn't working. I have compression, spark, and the spark plugs have fuel. I am throwing camshaft positioning sensors on the computer. When I rebuilt the engine I used the Audi timing kit and put in the pin into the crankshaft and then locked in the camshafts and installed the chain. What could I have done wrong? Why is half the engine not working?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 PM
1st Gear

Are you sure you have spark? Pull the plugs and see if they are wet with gas. If the motor runs and you did not and dont hear any mechanical noises like metal hitting metal i would say you must have an electrical issue. I am not an expert however so...I dont think it could be a timing issue just due to the fact that the other three are firing. Maybe double check all your wiring to insure proper connections.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by magicturtle2
Are you sure you have spark? Pull the plugs and see if they are wet with gas. If the motor runs and you did not and dont hear any mechanical noises like metal hitting metal i would say you must have an electrical issue. I am not an expert however so...I dont think it could be a timing issue just due to the fact that the other three are firing. Maybe double check all your wiring to insure proper connections.
The passenger cams are slightly off. I corrected it and it ran all 6 cylinders until I shut it off and tried it again before buttoning up the engine and the cams are off again. Dunno how or why there turning a 1/8 of a turn off on the passenger side nor know how to remedy the problem.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure about this as I am still learning about these motors but IF what I have learned about my motor, 2.8L non T, applies to yours I have an idea that could be right.
These motors have what they called variable timing. The shop manager at a local Audi dealer told me that in reality what they have is a system that allows the timing to be retarded slightly under certain situations. The motor does this by using the Cam position sensors to tell the computer where the cams are, and the cam tensioner/adjuster that when activated by the sensor and oil pressure will either allow the motor to run with the correct timing or set it back slightly.
My theory in your case is that one side of your motor has a bad component in that system and or a sensor is telling one side to slow down a bit while telling the other to keep going. The side you just had the head work done on, did you replace the cam adjuster/ tensioner? IF you did not that could be your issue. You could have a bad connection on the cam position sensor or the adjuster. My motor has a sensor on the front of the passenger side and the adjuster connection on the back if either of those is not working right I think you could have the adjuster activating on that side retarding your timing when it should not. Anyway I hope this helps but I could be wrong.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM
1st Gear

I am not sure about this as I am still learning about these motors but IF what I have learned about my motor, 2.8L non T, applies to yours I have an idea that could be right.
These motors have what they called variable timing. The shop manager at a local Audi dealer told me that in reality what they have is a system that allows the timing to be retarded slightly under certain situations. The motor does this by using the Cam position sensors to tell the computer where the cams are, and the cam tensioner/adjuster that when activated by the sensor and oil pressure will either allow the motor to run with the correct timing or set it back slightly.
My theory in your case is that one side of your motor has a bad component in that system and or a sensor is telling one side to slow down a bit while telling the other to keep going. The side you just had the head work done on, did you replace the cam adjuster/ tensioner? IF you did not that could be your issue. You could have a bad connection on the cam position sensor or the adjuster. My motor has a sensor on the front of the passenger side and the adjuster connection on the back if either of those is not working right I think you could have the adjuster activating on that side retarding your timing when it should not. Anyway I hope this helps but I could be wrong.
Yea I replaced the tensioner. That's what failed and caused 10 out 12 valves to bend. I reset the timing again. Ran it. Reset again and boom it's fine now. Drove it around last night for about a half hr.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 PM
1st Gear

Sweet! I am glad it resolved itself. It must have had to re-learn or something. My heads are in the shop now so your experience will no doubt help me in a few weeks when I get mine back together. I can only imagine your feelings when it didnt work rigth after all that work and then now that it does!! Congrats

Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

Sweet! I am glad it resolved itself. It must have had to re-learn or something. My heads are in the shop now so your experience will no doubt help me in a few weeks when I get mine back together. I can only imagine your feelings when it didnt work rigth after all that work and then now that it does!! Congrats
Thanks. Yea it's got a couple little issues like fuel sensor or intake flappers or whatever they are called. But she's driving now. Actually if you have flappers in ur intake tubes they are ran by vacuum and you have to open them with a vacuum pump before install. Found out the hard way. Haha
Any issues feel free to hmu. Hopefully I can help. Good luck!