Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Many Problems all at once

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Default A6 - Many Problems all at once

I have a 1997 A6 Wagon, non-turbo. Here's what's up.

I was getting no heat and experincing a coolant leak near the firewall. I replaced two heater hoses and an ECT sensor thinking one of these must be the culprit. I solved the problem of the leaking coolant by using a two-part, epoxy like product that I have had years of success with, "Marine-Tex", on a metal pipe piece that has a welded bracket with a threaded stud.

So, having done this, I now have heat in the cocpit but the temp gauge is barely registering. I have now lost my windshield wiper fluid motor. This is, I believe just clumsy hands.

Now. I am also experiencing these other symptoms; The fans behind the radiator come on as soon as I start the vehicle. The temperature guage only moves a little bit and finally, the heat comes on. Also, the re-circulated air function is no longer working and the AC is not working. I know this is a lot all at once, but if anyone can help me on a process to start diagnosing these little problems, I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way, did I mention that my sterio seems to be stuck in "SAFE" mode? I have the unlock code and have used it before but this time ther is "II" appearing above the little "code" label in the bottom right corner of the display. I can't seem to get to the spot where it will let me enter the un-lock code. I have had the battery disconnected and tried to wait the hour or two until I re-enter the code but I can't seem to get anywhere, help!

I await helpful suggestions! - Ralph in Spokane

Old 01-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Default RE: A6 - Many Problems all at once

perhaps you could make the text slightly larger so us old folk can read it my eye sight isn't what it used to be

Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Sorry Man, I'm new to this and just trying to get the hang of the format, etc.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 PM

no probs mate but Its too small for me to read

Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM

I have a 1997 A6 Wagon, non-turbo. Here's what's up.

I was getting no heat and experincing a coolant leak near the firewall. I replaced two heater hoses and an ECT sensor thinking one of these must be the culprit. I solved the problem of the leaking coolant by using a two-part, epoxy like product that I have had years of success with, "Marine-Tex", on a metal pipe piece that has a welded bracket with a threaded stud.

Coolant tank also develops leaks, Tank replacement runs about $45

So, having done this, I now have heat in the cocpit but the temp gauge is barely registering. I have now lost my windshield wiper fluid motor. This is, I believe just clumsy hands.

Now. I am also experiencing these other symptoms; The fans behind the radiator come on as soon as I start the vehicle. The temperature guage only moves a little bit and finally, the heat comes on. Also, the re-circulated air function is no longer working and the AC is not working. I know this is a lot all at once, but if anyone can help me on a process to start diagnosing these little problems, I would greatly appreciate it.
The fans will come on whenever the a/c is on.
The temp guage not registering is because of the temp sensor. It usually fails and is only a $10-$20 item for the updated version.
As for the a/c and recirc not working, you may want to check your fuses.

By the way, did I mention that my sterio seems to be stuck in "SAFE" mode? I have the unlock code and have used it before but this time ther is "II" appearing above the little "code" label in the bottom right corner of the display. I can't seem to get to the spot where it will let me enter the un-lock code. I have had the battery disconnected and tried to wait the hour or two until I re-enter the code but I can't seem to get anywhere, help!

Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

I LOVE seeing posts answered like this. Thanks Chinaloy.. Its not my car nor my problem.. But I know now if I do have problems like this there will be an answer for me when I search. So thanks again. Everybody.. really.. sorry .. But Im a little mushy today.. dunno why.. maybe cuz its friday I jsut got my commission check and i SHOULD be driving an A6 by tuesday.. FINALLY. thanks.