Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Moonroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 Moonroof problem

This past week my 2001 A6 moonroof decided to go on the fritz. The multifunction switch became useless when the moonroof decided it would only retract.Whether using the switch or the key in the driver door, the moonroof would try to open, even at fully opened position, and then the breaker would shut down the motor. After checking the switch with a test light, I closed the moonroof manually with a wrench. I started the car and the operation of the moonroof returned to normal.Any ideas on whatcaused this to happenor was it just a fluke?[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 01-05-2011, 09:43 PM
1st Gear
Default My moonroof...

... is doing the same thing. What was the fix? It hasn't rained here in 2 months and as soon as the roof decides not to close it's been raining for the last 3 days. I can't seem to find the wrench to close it manually. I'm wondering if disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it will trip it to working normally again. Any ideas???

Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear

disconnect the battery. Turn the switch to off position. Pop open the switch and find the hole for the allen wrench. Close the sunroof manually using the wrench. Reconnect the battery and you should be good.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:00 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DaBatMan
... is doing the same thing. What was the fix? It hasn't rained here in 2 months and as soon as the roof decides not to close it's been raining for the last 3 days. I can't seem to find the wrench to close it manually. I'm wondering if disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it will trip it to working normally again. Any ideas???
You said a few days back that you found a "contraption" that looks like an Allen key. You still didn't figure out where to insert it?
I gave you some pointers in the other thread, some links to a couple of diys.
If you didn't find the key, then just get a set of allen wrenches from AutoZone or WalMart, the hole is not that big a 5 or 6 metric IIRC.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
You said a few days back that you found a "contraption" that looks like an Allen key. You still didn't figure out where to insert it?
I gave you some pointers in the other thread, some links to a couple of diys.
If you didn't find the key, then just get a set of allen wrenches from AutoZone or WalMart, the hole is not that big a 5 or 6 metric IIRC.
No I didn't fix it. I went up to Autozone and borrowed a set of their allen wrenches thinking I was going to get-r-done but once I popped open the light cover all I saw was motor and no where to manually turn the roof close. The opening to the compartment once the cover is off is quite small and only about 1/2 of the motor shows. I'll try to upload some pics shortly.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear

Can you snap some pics so we can see how your motor looks like?
Just like in those DIY pics, all of them should have a gear opening of some sort.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 PM
1st Gear
Default Fixed...

... I went someone that know someone that knows something about sun roofs. Longs story short I needed to disconnect the map light housing as well (just the panel where the moon roof dial was located wasn't enough to uncover the entire motor). He had a special tool to open the light compartment as I was scared to pry on it fearing that I may break something. He got the thing open and closed it manually. All for $10 and a cigarette. I gave him $20 for being such a nice guy.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM
1st Gear

Ive seen this happen on my A6 and a friends A4 and both times the same fix worked. Get the roof in either the fully open or fully closed position. Then disco the battery and turn the **** to match the position the roof is currently in. When you reconnect the battery all should be well, atleast in my experience. Beats the hell out of taking the light apart.