Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Occasional No Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Default A6 Occasional No Start

Got an A6 Avant that intermittently won't start. After 20 min to 2 hours, it will start. Solvent exhaust odor. Any one have the same problem?

Old 08-20-2005, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A6 Occasional No Start

Is it a clicking when it won't start or is it a sputter sputter die?

If clicking (or slow slow slow starter), most common from what you describe: It is an electrical problem. That is the best I can say off of what you gave us. Well I mean more to it than that... Ok like this. If it will start cold but not hot, or hot but not cold it is in your starting system. Starter is the first place to start looking. How old is it? If not there, next thing to look at is your battery cables. A6 Avant it is under you back seat there are two screws in front of the seat, pull those, seat comes up and out. Battery is on your passenger side. The terminals at the cables should be totally clean. If there is a bunch of what can best be described as dry drink mix looking powdery junk :-P then clean your posts, terminals, etc with a wire brush (be prepared to have to retype your code into the stereo) Don't get the powder on your clothes. If neither of these, look to replacing the battery cables. There is six feet of positive cable that is happily growing that powder crap in it and when it gets bad enough, resistance gets high enough that you will no longer start. However you will also lose power (often if this is the prob). If none of these work, well, more info. Sorry if this sounds very kindergarden like, I am just not sure if you even know where your battery is.

If it is sputter sputter: Well the only reason I think this is you are describing solvent smell from the exhaust. Um... I will troubleshoot you if you say it is sputter sputter.

Solvent may be carb cleaner scent. If yes, your starter is dead and your mechanic knows it is dead (or the person who sold it to you last week). Mechanics spray carb cleaner into a starter to get it to start if it is dead. Also theyll hit it with a hammer.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

Hi, first of all you didn't mention which engine you have. It is a common problem with the V6 derivatives to fail to start if you have recently started them for a short time (such as moving you car off the drive to let someone else out).

Old 08-20-2005, 04:48 PM
2nd Gear

Oh good point, my avant has some cracked out security thing where it won't let me start it (nothing goes) but it is usually very fleeting like 10-15 seconds and usually when I start/ half start it for only a few seconds. Yeah I wanted to know year and engine and transmission. There is a lot more troubleshooting with better info.