Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Quattro 2.6l Tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Default A6 Quattro 2.6l Tranny fluid change

Hi guys, new here, I searched and didn't find anything...Where is the fill plug on an automatic quattro transmission? Are their any pictures or DIY links that you guys know of? It got late when I went to fill it so it was dark and I couldn't see squat. Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks is advance

Old 04-04-2006, 03:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 Quattro 2.6l Tranny fluid change

I just changed my filter and oil in my newly aquired A6 2.7T.

Thru my initial research I found the following info useful for when I did mine.
-You must use VW/Audi oil (some will also mention synthetics).
-The bottom of the pan has a small drain plug and a large 17mm allen head fill port which
is actually a standpipe type arrangement.
-The oil level is correct when oil just drips out from this large standpipe fill hole when the transmission temp is
between 30-40 C. Temperature affects the oil level, therefore the "proper" way is to monitor temperature with
Vag-com software when filling with the car running and jacked up in a level position.
-You will need to figure a way to pump your new oil up into the standpipe when filling (I made a fitting for one of the
oil bottles and used low pressure compressed air, pumps are available from some of the Audi parts sites).
-If you drained your oil (not just topping it off), after intially filling, with the cold car running, you need to apply the
brakes and shift to all gear positions for 10 seconds each to ensure the oil fills properly. Then as the temp
increases, either allow excess oil to find its level or add as required until oil runs out of the fill port when temp is
between 30-40C.

I changed my trans filter and oil pan gasket and used about 5 liters of oil (the torque converter retains alot of oil). I have 97k on this car and when I bought it, it had a leaking trans cooler, so I figured while the system was probably low on fluid, I might as well change the filter and oil.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:07 PM

That helps alot, thanks.

Are there any links to pivs or diagrams?

Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, I did not bookmark any of the links I found when I researched it. I found a pretty good one describing the procedure for an A8 which is similar. I think I found it on Audiworld.com forums. There are a few technical articles over there and this link which has some useful info on it http://sonolithics.com/files/a6_links.html.

The Bentley repair manual on CD gave a pretty good explanation (I paid a bout $70 bucks for it).

Old 04-04-2006, 04:29 PM

Tim,

Thanks a bunch. Just got this for the wife and it is so far proven itself more problematic than my Bimmer.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
1st Gear

Same here, my wife's Bimmer has 260k on it and she was getting nervous about the miles (car still runs/drives/looks great). I found this A6 2.7T for a real good price so I bought it. I have found and fixed a leaking trans cooler, PS cooler was disconnected, one bad control arm, one cracked CV boot. I have repainted the hood and front bumper cover due to stone chips. I still need to address a loud power steering pump, then we might start driving it again.

These things are a somewhat of a pain compared to working on the Bimmer and a MAJOR pain compared to working on my old Porsches. This car has already forced me into buying a Vag-com scanner as it seems like the only way possible to diagnose most problems. I have considered reselling it and buying another BMW, but my wife loves it (I like it too) and I guess I will learn to deal with fixing it. While I am sure there are some hardcore DIY guys somewhere on these forums, the amount of DIY info on these cars is just not going to be as readily available as on the Porsches.