S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

How do I change the tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear
Default How do I change the tranny fluid

I have a 2001 S4 auto and I want to change the tranny fluid and filter.

Where do I put the fluid in at?

There in only a drain plug on the buttomof the tranny, and I don't see a fill plug and I don't see a place on top of the engine to fill it.

Also, what type of fluid should I go with?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Default RE: How do I change the tranny fluid

The transmission is designed to be a lifetime transmisson in that you don't have to change the fluid. Although in the case of slipage or delay of shifts the fluid will be changed in hope its the fluid that is at fault. To change the fluid you have to drop the pan and dump the fluid out. The hole in the bottom of the pan is actually the fill hole. It is designed with a sleeve that is fitted around the hole so fluid isnt poured out as you fill it. The tranny is topped off when fluid starts to come out the hole.

P.S. You have to use a pump or some sort of contramption that will get the fluid in the tranny since you cant pour the bottle upside down.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 AM
2nd Gear

OK Butternuts you need to search and stop asking something that has its own place on the DIY page, I know you are new but read the FAQ and search some.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

your a doooosch readimag

Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

hahah i had my tranny out when i did the fluid swap made it soo much easier haha

Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: drev500@aol.com

The transmission is designed to be a lifetime transmisson in that you don't have to change the fluid. Although in the case of slipage or delay of shifts the fluid will be changed in hope its the fluid that is at fault. To change the fluid you have to drop the pan and dump the fluid out. The hole in the bottom of the pan is actually the fill hole. It is designed with a sleeve that is fitted around the hole so fluid isnt poured out as you fill it. The tranny is topped off when fluid starts to come out the hole.

P.S. You have to use a pump or some sort of contramption that will get the fluid in the tranny since you cant pour the bottle upside down.
Thanks,

I have one more question, do I need to have the car running in neutral when I fill it?

I had a POS Isuzu Rodeo that had to be filled the same way, and I had to let the tranny warm up and have it running in neutral to fill it.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Negative.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:09 PM
1st Gear

Drop pan, dump fluid. Note the color. Put pan back in. Now is a good time to change gaskets and filter. Feed 3/4" acrylic hose up the hole so it dumps off to the side. Hose should now go around the door of the car up to the upside-down jug with the bottom cut out (a bleach gallon container sized one works well) and that should hang off your hood insode, which of course is open. That gives you enough pressure to get the fluid in. Forget a pump, it is not needed. Fill it til it overflows, take the tube out, put the cap back in and start the car, go through all the gears without moving, (foot on brake), then fill some more, repeat until you can't get any more in without it spilling over.

Get this. Drive around the block, go through all gears, including reverse, and do it again. Note the color. Repeat. You may want to do it again until you run clear.

Seriously.

Expensive, yes, cheaper than a new TC, yes.

My fluid was black like a ford on 12K miles between non-synth oil changes. Yecchy. Now it's ruddy brown, there's always some in the TC that will cycle out when you drive around the block. You need to go through the gears without moving and then finish filling to get all the pieces-parts in the valve body filled back up. Bubbles there are not good if you are driving.

Hope that made sense.

jb

Old 04-05-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: readimag

OK Butternuts you need to search and stop asking something that has its own place on the DIY page, I know you are new but read the FAQ and search some.
There are better ways to explain that. Arrogance because of seniority doesn't make people come back.