Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Resetting computer to pass inspection ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A6 - Resetting computer to pass inspection ???

Driverside main catalytic converter is throwing that code. It should not be oxygen sensors.

FYI, federal emissions warranty covers catalytic converters up to 8 years or 80,000 miles. If you car is below that range, take it back to Audi and they will replace it for free. What they will do is reset the code, and see if your readiness code sets or not. If it does not set, then they will replace the cat for free. I had the exact thing happened to mine, and my mileage was at 79,850.

Good thing is that your cat is the main cat, not the pre-cat. Main cat is easier to access than the pre-cat. So even if your mileage exceeds the warranty limit, replacement is pretty simple.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: A6 - Resetting computer to pass inspection ???

Oh, forgot to answer the second part of your question... If cat is bad, it can affect the performance. Normally, even if it is throwing the code, it has sufficient flow. But if it really gets plugged, then it will cause problems with running.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
It may or may not work. In California, smog machine not only checks for any CELs, but it also checks for a readiness code. When the CELs are reset, ECU cycles through certain criteria, such as time it has been driven, information fromall emission related equipment, and duration and etc. Then it sets a readiness code once everything checks out. If the readiness code is not set, then you can't pass smog check.

The readiness code may set after you reset the CELs, but you need to verify with a code reader that has readiness checking capability.
----

Hi everyone, new A6 owner/mechanic here, can someone tell me what ODB2 reader to buy (Amazon.com) to be able to see my car's ready-state for smog check purposes in California.