Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Semi Auto stuck in park! Intermittent though

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
1st Gear
Angry A6 Semi Auto stuck in park! Intermittent though

Hi Guys,

I’m afraid that I am still having dire problems with the gearbox on my Audi A6 Avant 2.8 Quattro Semi-Auto:

A few weeks ago the car jammed in Park, so based on what I found out online I thought it was the parking brake switch (the white one connected to the brake pedal – the top one of the 2 switches) so I ordered a new one, fitted it, and the car still wouldn’t come out of park: when you pressed the brake pedal, the foot icon next to the gear selector faded and flickered, but would not go right out. We called the AA and the guy said that he couldn’t tell me what the problem was as it could be a switch (he thought the brakelight switch – the black one, controlled the park release!!) or a relay, or the solenoid etc. etc. He did manage to get the selector moving by fiddling with the switches, but we had to start the car with the foot brake on or it wouldn’t move.

I didn’t dare use the car, and parked it outside the house, but last week I checked the gearbox 3 times, and each time I started the car without having the foot brake applied it went straight through the gear selection no problem.

Yesterday, I decided to risk using the car as it needed a tyre so went to the tyre place and came out no problems, but when I came home and went to turn in the road I stopped, went to change into reverse and the bloody thing jammed!! I managed to stop and start the engine and stamp on the brake enough to get the car into neutral so I could push the car off the road. As I couldn’t get the key out, I gave it a while, went back outside and tried again. I managed to get it into park, but since then I can’t move the car or do anything with it as it is locked in park again!! 

I have tried everything I can think of, and I have even tried starting the car, pressing the brake pedal, and then reaching to the back of the switch and pulling the plunger right out to see if the foot icon will go out and nothing works. I can’t afford to take the car to a garage (and couldn’t move it anyway!) so I need to sort this myself, so does anyone know what I could try next without spending a load of money on speculative parts? Is there any way I can bypass the switch? Can I connect the two terminals on the cable so I bypass the switch without damaging anything? The worst part of this is that it is intermittent so the car is completely unusable, and it is parked across our driveway so that we can’t get the other cars in! Also, the hand brake / emergency brake seems to have no effect at all.

Sorry that the post is so long, but thought you’d need a full description to make any kind of diagnosis!

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone have any ideas please guys?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear

Remove the center console cover from over the shift mechanism. Now, see if you can figure a way to manually move the interlock (should be possible). If not, rig up two wires from your cigarette lighter and give the interlock power and you should be able to get it to release. Get it home and remove and/or disable the shift interlock.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 08-09-2010, 08:50 PM
3rd Gear

It's either the switch or solenoid.. I'd bet on the switch even though you changed it...

Old 08-10-2010, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the replies guys,

I will try the suggestions, but I can't really risk replacing the switch again as that will be more money potentially down the drain of it doesn't work.

Does anyone have any images or a how2 for replacing the brake switch as it took me ages holding the spring at the back with pliers and trying to thread the switch back in! Just thinking it might be handy of I do have to replace it again...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear

I just reread your post and believe it is the switch. The brake lights are the key - if they are on and you can't get it out of park it is not the switch. In some vehicles you can hear the soleniod click (release)when you press the brake.

PS I love the click when I get in my Audi because it means I can move the shift.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 AM
1st Gear

Cheers NH,

When the problem started, the brake lights did come on when you pressed the brake pedal, but the light next to the selector did not go out. I think this is still the case, but will check tonight. If it isn't the switch, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again guys,

Stewart

Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

Hi Guys,

Well I have just checked the car, and when you press the brake pedal the brake lights work fine, but the foot icon does not go out and I still cannot get it out of park.

I am going to try the suggestion of disabling the selector lock at the weekend, but wondered if anyone has any suggestions based on this new info?

Hope someone might have something else to try?

Cheers guys,

Stewart

Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 AM
1st Gear

Anyone?