Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 in the shop*** UPDATED***: vibration/noise and mods...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 in the shop*** UPDATED***: vibration/noise and mods...

Good to know, I have had a problem with vibration around 60-70mph range and just had new tires put on. That helped hugely(ya know there are like4 to5differenttypes of wheel balancing/weighting?)but still have a little vibration left.Reading your problem and diagnosis is interesting. The axle is something I am worried about, and have also heard about the weights on the driveline shifting and vibration coming from the fly wheel. Ugh. Thanks for posting your progress. Audis are totally sick, but as a new owner coming from Subaru land...geezzz....

Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry to hear about the trans file Gigi, but I am glad you like the newfound tightness in the steering.

What are the RS6 TREs made of? I assume something better than our stock stuff. What about the control arms? Just OEM type?

Old 03-22-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

Gigi, is the warranty factory or aftermarket?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear

Aftermarket warranty. They covered all but tie rod end parts. Not bad.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:02 AM
2nd Gear

Hey guys,
Still good on the steering stuff, drives good, except for an alignment needed and getting it done Monday.

Yesterday we put the stage2 chip ast had sent and so far no limp mode. The car acts funny in some gears at hight RPM, where it seems to hesitate and not want to climb past 4500-5000 RPMs, then it is fine after 2 or 3 attempts... like it is learning... I think it is the tranny/computer adapting and to my driving style as well... We'll see how it performs as a few days go by. It definitely is not shifting as quick and hard as the stg 3 though I barely tested it before it went in limp mode. So I can't wait to get the revised stage 3 tune. I sent price info such as my mode for him to build my stage 3 tip chip.
However, there is an improvement over stock in the upshift speed. A lot less hesitation and more direct upshifting when revving the car up, so less time waited in acceleration...
While I was at GMP, I had my APR software reflashed as they had a newer version than mine. I had 1.0.

So more to come when i get the VAST Chip, but VST has great customer service.

***Just got a very nice email from Kurt at VAST as follow up with an explanation of the issue and the assurance I am being taken care of and will be gettign a stg3... These guys are great. ***

Old 03-22-2008, 09:10 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: *** UPDATED**** A6 in the shop: vibration/noise and mods...

ORIGINAL: Coors
Gigi, I must say, you seem like the most patient and understanding person I have ever came across. I am sure you will have the car back and better than ever, soon enough.
Side note: you said that you will have to get the car re-aligned.
Does your car drive straight right now, even thought the steering wheel is not straight?
I recently had my mechanic replace/repair (not sure which one) my tie rod end. He said he aligned the car, which I believehe did,but the car's steering wheel is not straight.The car does drive straight although when I look at the steering wheel it's not straight.
What would remendy this? He said the would have to remove the stering wheel and column or something time consuming like that. Does this sound correct?
I wonder what the dealership would say??? Hope all goes well with the stage III tip chip.
Well Coors, thnaks, I am not THAT patient but I am older than most here, have 5 kids and a very straessful job, all have helped with patience.... Plus you know there is really no need to straees over things that are out of our control. Also you are more likely to get taken care of and get great service, if you act as a gentleman rather than a A--H--E...
We also know that their tip chip is fairly new and should expect little problems, imperfections... Also all cars have different, so what worked for another customer might not for my car... Alos they built it smartly to get the car to go into limo mode to pretect the tranny so that made me happy They also has a new chip tome right away so I mean... I can't really complain, the inconvenience was limited.
I am confident they will retune the stage3 where it can work well in my car soon. Now know how to isntall it so it will be easier than having to drive to a shop...I though it required soldering but it is really just a plug and play type deal.... they added/soldered a little board to the TCU which allows hyou to switch programs by just plugging the chips in the new socket. Finally, we gotta relaize their tip chip is a lot cheaper than GIAC and they are workign with their early customers to finetune it, learn what might work or not on various cars...
All in all, inconvenience was short lived an minimal impact, and these guys are very open, and available... Me and my tech talked to prince by phone and email several times.. they are there for me early and late....

Old 03-22-2008, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: *** UPDATED**** A6 in the shop: vibration/noise and mods...

ORIGINAL: Coors
Side note: you said that you will have to get the car re-aligned. Does your car drive straight right now, even thought the steering wheel is not straight? I recently had my mechanic replace/repair (not sure which one) my tie rod end. He said he aligned the car, which I believehe did,but the car's steering wheel is not straight.The car does drive straight although when I look at the steering wheel it's not straight. hat would remendy this? He said the would have to remove the stering wheel and column or something time consuming like that. Does this sound correct?
I wonder what the dealership would say??? ope all goes well with the stage III tip chip.
Yes b/c gthey replaced all the upper control arms, inner and outer tie rod ends... I need an alignment and they did not have time to take it to the shop Thursday and I needed my car this week-end. So Iam going back to GMP Monday hopefully, and they'll put my freshly repatined blades on and take it to SLK a local shop that works on german cars for an alignment. They do it the old way with strings even on the most expensive cars the old fashion way.... heard they have awesome results believe it or not! SO i am giving it a hot for $80! Owned by Europeans and working on very bice Euros including Porsches with repeat customers, I'll trust them! If not good, I can always take it to PAS who has a german machine, top notch as I understand it, I think it is caled Beizbarth or something like that.
Anyway, my car does drive straight down the hwy, but the steering wheel is not turned a little when gong straight.

I think you should check yor tire pressure and then take it for an alignment elsewhere... After an alignment, all should be straight if done right