Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Starting Issues Stumbles will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Default A6 Starting Issues Stumbles will not start

2006 A6 Avant with Advanced Key. We have had the car almost 6 months has 50K. The car stumbles when starting every now and then. Mostly its just a little rough but sometimes the whole car shakes very badly. Lately it will not fire up but just continues to turn over. We normally hit the stop button after a few seconds if we have no luck. But it happend after dinner at a restaurant and we let it go to see what would happen. After several several seconds it stopped on its own. The dash showed low oil pressure warning. Now the car stumbled the first time we tried to start it and it died. So the second attempt yielded the no start shut down.

Has anyone else had anything else like this. The problem happens when the car is cold, hot, it doesn't have a pattern. The dealership has looked at it several times but without codes they are at a loss. The first complaint had the dealer updating the fuel injectors. The issues seemed to get worse. I hope someone else can help me out.

Thanks

Old 11-28-2008, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

I am guessing that your Audi dealer is lazy and/or you are not the original owner and the original owner was not a stickler for maintenance. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the full TSB from Audi. Here are the highlights of TSB 24 08 57 2010890/8. I think that this describes your problem pretty well, including the fact that it does not throw any codes. The TSB advises that there is an ECM software upgrade that resolves the problem.

Technical Service Bulletin - Cold engine runs rough or stumbles; warm engine may stall when engaging gear and vehicle is stationary

The customer may report: a) Engine may idle rough after a cold start, b) Engine may stumble or hesitate at slow initial acceleration after a cold start and under certain weather
conditions. Condition will not exist with warm engine, c) Engine may attempt to stall at idle when transmission is shifted from Neutral or Park to Drive or Reverse when
coolant temperature is above 176° (80°) and the vehicle is stationary.

No diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are associated with this condition.

Production Solution - New software in the Engine Control Module resolved the problem.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:50 AM
2nd Gear

I sent you a copy of the TSB. Let me know how it works out.

Have you also considered the possibility that the coil packs may have gone bad. The coil packs are a historical problem with Audis.