Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Default A6 won't start!

I own a 2003 A6. My car is having trouble starting. A few weeks ago I went through the car wash, parked it to clean the inside and went to start it up and it just was clicking. I turned the key over a few times and after about 10 minutes it started. This has happened 3 times this morning, I turn the key over and it just clicks. So after turning the key on and off for about 5 minutes then the engine will start to crank and will finally turn over. My check engine light came on too. I am a girl and I don't know anything about cars! HELP!!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

what does your volt meter read when your car is running? its the little dial on the right of the speedometer on the far right of the guage cluster. how much has it done it since that first time? is it consistant every time you try and use the car?

Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 PM

The guage is between 12 and 16. Don't think it's the battery then. No, it's not happening every time I start it. It's happened 4 different times now. It's been happening on days where the car sits for a little longer than other days, say 24hrs. Yesterday, it did it when I was leaving my house and I was running errands and it did it 2 more times. Then the rest of the day it was fine. This morning I started it up, seemed as if there was a little hesitation but it started and didn't make the clicking noise first.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:40 PM
2nd Gear

starter going bad?

Old 12-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

thats what i would have thought... might wanna go somewhere that deals with imports.. anywhere but the audi dealership to get it checked out for sure.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 AM

Would that make the check engine light come on? This morning, it was again hestitant but started and the check engine light was blinking and you can tell the engine wasn't running quite right, then it started running better and the check engine light went off.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:07 PM
2nd Gear

Could very well be the battery. I have the '02 and replaced my battery about a year ago. If my calculations are right and you haven't replaced it yet then you could be due.

Also, have you ever cleaned the terminals? Do you have a batter terminal cleaner? Costs only a few bucks and can be helpful when cleaned off every couple months.

In regards to the volt readout on the dash, is that when the car is on and running or when the key is turned without engine running? If the car is running the alternator is running the accessories and at least trying to charge the battery. Without the engine running you will have a more accurate indication of what your battery is at. To get the best reading you could just use a voltmeter to get it straight from the battery.

When you mention that when the car sits for more than a day or so, that tells me there is a slow draw somewhere. This could just be the alarm system, but that would mean your battery is REALLY low. More than likely something else drawing power, but still, pretty rare.

Could be the starter, but that is easier to tell. When you turn the ignition key to start, does it do anything at all? If you turn the ignition to start and it doesn't, but you turn the ignition key again and it does start just fine that could be the starter.

Engine turns over and makes noise, but eventually slows to a stop followed by some clicking noises? That would mean battery. Let us know!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

get the battery charge tested... it's happened to me several times.
... otherwise start making calls on a new starter

Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Thanks Guys! I went to Checker and had the battery tested and they said it's going bad. So I picked out a battery to buy and wanted them to install it and they said they couldn't it too labor intensive. Ugh! can anything with these Audi's be simple!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear

10 minutes top to change the battery on my 2000 A6.