Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor & smoke under the hood :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
1st Gear
Default AC Compressor & smoke under the hood :(

I have two issues in my car currently

1) There is oil leak in my car and gaskets r gone too, because of which i see smoke under the hood. I immediately parked the car and am not driving it. My mechanic said its no big deal u can keep driving its no problem? I just wanted a second opinion on it. Leaking oil on engine is causing smoke... is it fine to keep driving the car with hood looking like furnace.

2) My AC Compressor (bought it on ebay) was replaced a few months back in winter. I didn't get it recharged then coz it was winter and i didnt need AC then, now i took it for recharge and mechanic told me that compressor is no good and its not getting recharged. I contacted the company and they asked me if the drier was replaced, my mechanic never replaced tells me that he didnt replace drier coz its a different part and just the compressor was replaced. Do you think if i replace drier my ac would be fine?

I just wanna find out if my mechanic is an idiot and i shud find someone else. He is Audi certified though. Thnx guys.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

bumping for some help ppl

Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

1) smoke under the hood: I guess it depends on how much smoke, and how much oil is leaking. I have some oozing from the valve cover gaskets at the rear of my engine. The oil leaks down onto the exhaust manifold and burns off. The smoke is barely noticeable with the hood open and not noticeable at all with the hood closed. If I am at a stop you can sometimes get a faint whiff of burning oil, but that's it. "Hood looking like a furnace" sounds to me like you may have more serious issue at work in there. However, it is hard to diagnose such things over teh interwebz.

2) I don't know enough about AC to be able to offer any kind of useful answer.

Finally, as far as your mechanic goes, even if he is "Audi certified" that doesn't mean he isn't an idiot. At the same time, he probably does know a lot more about your car than you do. Either way, it never hurts to get another opinion in these cases (from someone who can physically look at your car, not over teh interwebz)

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

So ive figured it is the blown valve cover gasket causing the smoke and pretty soon the oil would start dripping on the floor if not fixed. I am not sure if cam chain tensioner gaskets need replacement too. But i gotta find out how much labor i am looking at