Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADVICE NEEDED ON AUTO GEARBOX

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Default ADVICE NEEDED ON AUTO GEARBOX

Hi folks,
I have a 1995 A6 2.8 Quattro with the auto transmission....

I have just had the oil renewed and the screen filter changed at a non Audi garage and since the work, its been a complete nightmare!

Before the service, it was very slightly shuddery/jerky changing up through the gears and also didnt quite hold in drive at idle on a steep incline.

Since having the oil changed its much smoother changing gears and holds better on hills but now there are more serious problems...

1. very occaisionally it wont change any higher than 3rd, which clears if i stop the car, switch off the engine and re-start.

2. when hitting kickdown, the engine races up normally, the gear shifts down normally and the vehicle speed increases normally.... but then the gears dont shift up until i ease off the thottle, and at that point, theres a huge shudder from the transmission and the engine rpm jumps from the red line up and down very erratically.
It feels like the transmission is trying to change gear but doesnt know what to do....

Im quite upset at this as i intended to service the vehicle and now it seems its been damaged.
It definately wasnt like this before the oil change.

Any advice is appreciated

cheers

Old 08-23-2006, 12:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: ADVICE NEEDED ON AUTO GEARBOX

I just had my tranny serviced while I was haveing the rear tranny seal replaced on my 96 Avant Quattro.

It was at a VW/Audi Shop though and the total bill came to $475 with all labor and parts of all that needed replaceing during the process. The Shop I took my car to is very well trusted by all its customers and the guy answerd all my questions extremly well.

I have the non dipstick sealed tranny, I assume yours is the same. I was told the tranny takes only full synthetic oem audi tranny fluid, and thats what my shop used. I had no tranny problems though. The tranny is a weird one though but I know it will hold the gear up till I let of the gas a little also. I think thats just how it is because in the owners manual it says the A6 has a drivers adaptive type tranny, so it will not have the same shift points all the time, it will adjust them to the gas pedal input.

I would take it to the VW dealer and have them run it on there tranny machine. Since you have a new filter there machine flushes the entire tranny and converter and all the lines and refills it with full synthetic OE fluid, so that way whatever type fluid they put in will be completly out. I priced this out and it was $200 for the whole service, I did not get it though because I would like my tranny filter changed first.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 AM
3rd Gear

I would make sure the correct fluid was used. Also make sure the level is correct as a scan tool is required to obtain the correct trans temp to properly fill the trans.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:32 AM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem with a 99 2.8 quattro. Although i did not have the fluid changed I did have the shifting problem. Several times I had to shut the car off to reset the transmission. There is a computer mod either in the center console or around the passenger side floor area. It controls when the tiptronic trans will shift. This unit could make you think your trans is going. On another occasion the mass airflow unit was bad and had the same effect on the trans with hard shift and then locking in third or extended stay in third. Mass air flow at audi dealer is in the three hundred range. The part could be bought wholesale for 170 and is extreamly easy to replace. A quick scan tool will let you know if its the mass air flow. Good luck!!

Old 10-03-2006, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

Thanks chaps,

You are stars. i will check all that out