Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A6
Advice on the purchase of an A6 >

Advice on the purchase of an A6

Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.

Advice on the purchase of an A6

Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Advice on the purchase of an A6

High all

I have been reading the forums as a guest and decided to go ahead and register her as I am considering purchasing a 1998 Audi A6 Quattro. I will go look at the car in detail and drive it in the next day or so. In the meantime I went and just looked at it from the outside. The paint is a little oxidized on the hood but there is no major body damage and the interior appears to be in pretty good shape. The dash is not cracked and the seats are not torn up. The owner has partial maintenance records and the car has 237000 miles. The owner recently change the starter, battery and put new spark plugs although I don't know if he put new plug wires in as well.

Is there any maintenance issue I should specifically ask about? Has anyone personally had than A6 with this many miles and had a good experience? Basically I am just going to use it as a daily driver to work but I am attracted to the Audi due to the features it comes with and the overall reputation of the car in general.

Chris

Old 01-25-2017, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

Hi Chris, I don't know if your Quattro is the same engine, but my A6 1999 1.8T has done 140'000 miles and the cylinder compression is bellow the limit set by Audi, I think it's only the turbo that gets it up steep hills.
Things to look out for: HT amplifier (found on top of the air box) when they start to go you'll get an intermittent misfire, eventually your engine will not start. Don't buy a new Chinese replacement, get a genuine audi and you will notice the power difference.

Water in the passenger foot well (4 or 5 inches deep), two drain holes under the battery compartment need cleaning. Same problem, water gathers in the corner of the bulkhead under the big black electric box, then drips down the bonnet release cable hole and fills the passenger foot well. Stuff a rag in to the bulkhead to soak up the water and ring it out every so often.
Always use fully synthetic oil especially if you have a turbo, this stops the oil turning to goo and blocking the oil ways.

Ian

Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Ian. I should have included in the original post this has the 2.8 liter V6 with a five speed automatic transmission. The ad for the car says it also has tiptronic although I am not sure exactly what that means.

Chris