New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Audi... Need purchase advice, please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:19 AM
Default New to Audi... Need purchase advice, please.

Hello, everyone.

Recently my Grand Cherokee 'died' and I have decided to replace it with a wagon, instead of getting another SUV. I am looking at getting into a mid to late 90's Audi wagon, but have no idea what to look for. I love the looks of them, and an Audi enthusiast buddy of mine is always raving about them. The vast majority of my knowledge and experience has been with BMWs and Porsches up to now, so I'm in unfamiliar territory here.

I really like the A4 Avant wagons, as well as the A6's. My budget is going to be somewhere between 6 and 8k... Is it possible to find a nice example for that price? What should I be looking for? What should I avoid? Are some years better/worse than others? Any general guidance would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, I try and do all of my own work on my cars, so I'm also curious if they are DIY-friendly or not. I don't want to be totally in the dark as I move forward on a purchase. Thanks in advance-

Old 02-22-2005, 10:26 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: New to Audi... Need purchase advice, please.

Hi RenaissanceMan, welcome to the forum. The Avant wagons are nice, but I don't know if you will be able to find one for that price that doesn't have a lot of miles. Do a search if you want to find common problems of the A4. I'm sure you can find lots of stuff just on this last page of threads.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Default RE: New to Audi... Need purchase advice, please.

You are correct; the one's I've seen at that price all have over 100k on them. Is that too high a mileage to get into? Or are these cars pretty durable for long periods of time? I'm assuming they are going to have similar maintenance costs to that of a BMW...