Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket head unit ank keep bose

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Default aftermarket head unit ank keep bose

I have a 2003 Audi A6 with the Bose Symphany in dash 6 cd changer. I was thinking about putting in a double din entertainment system. I dont plan on adding any extra speakers or amps, I would just like to keep the bose system that is already there and have it sound just like it sounds now with factory head unit.

Is this possible to do and if so, what all will I need to install an aftermarket and maintain the bose system?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Default RE: aftermarket head unit ank keep bose

With my Infiniti I30, they told me that if I replace my head unit I would have to replace my speakers too because my speakers came with amps attached tothem already. The guy was like"Bose speakers only works with the Bose head units".I dont know how ture this it....I would like to know because I want to replace the head unit in the Audi.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

Ha "Bose speakers only work with bose head units"???? Lol that is the stupidest thing I have heard all day. ANY SPEAKER CAN WORK WITH ANY AMP. Unless the speaker has too low of an impedance for the amp to handle, which I am sure that Bose speakers are the general single 4 ohm speaker that most other companies make. What he was probably thinking is that its hard to get a wiring harness that will integrate an aftermarket HU. But its def possible.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

Actually,both of youare right and wrong at the same time. I don't know about this car specifically enough, but I do know stereos. If the speakers are amplified from the head unit, and the ohms are 4, you should be able to do it. If the speakers are amp'ed externally, and your new HU is amplified, you have some big trouble heading your way. You can't amplify an amplifier. You will have to bypass the factory amp. Make sense?

Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

just put amp and run new wires to the all speakers. so when you sell it always you can put factory harness back on....

Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Alias747, I said My Bose speakers came with amps attached already, from the factory, I did not say nothing about hooking them to a amps.

Jabber, your right, The speaker in my Infiniti are amp'ed, thats why the guy told me I would need a adaptor for my Bose speakers, I dont know what the adpator is called tho. The Audi speakers are not amp'ed so yea, youdont have to replace the speakers, but I always say "If you gonna cop, cop 4real", for me, I wouldn't just replace the head unit, I would replace the speakers and get a small amp, like a 100 watt to hook them up to.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

I beleive that there is a special amp just for Bose systems. Iused to sellhome stereos and on occasion would sell mobile audio.Any time someone came in w/a Bose system, I'd take them out to the installers to discuss the special considerations when dealing w/these systems. This was a few years ago so I don't know what has changed w/these systems since I dealt w/them.

There may be one central amp that goes from the head unit to the speakers vs each speaker having their own amp as they used to.

either way, you should check w/a place that sells mobile audio. They will know what the deal is. Make sure it is a reputable place as some may want to rip you off by selling you more than you need.

Good luck!