Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another ABS +ESP light question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Default another ABS +ESP light question

My car: 2003 A6 2.7T ~65K miles

Here is the full history: About 1 year ago, I go outside and notice that my brake lights do not go off. I play around with it a little, and finally they shut off. This happened 1 other time since then. Also about 8 months ago my ESP and ABS light go on. It lasts for a few hours, and when I shut of the car and restart it after those few hours it was gone again. Then about 1 week ago those lights come on again. last for almost 24 hours and shut off again. I also notice that my rear right fog light is out.

What the hell is going on with my car? Please help!

also, is it tough to replace a single rear foglight?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: another ABS +ESP light question

A) Your car probably only has 1 rear fog light, i think the 03 or 04+ models have two rear fogs, someone can correct me there if need be.

B) The tail lamps staying on is from a faulty brake light switch, now since these switches are easy to break on installation you may need to buy more than one.

C) The ESP and ABS lights could be coming on because of the brake light switch, it can affect quite a few systems. I would replace that first and see what happens. If the ABS and ESP lights come back you most likely need a new ABS control module. (common problem)

Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 PM

thanx for the speedy reply.

1) My car has 2 rear fog lights. I like they way they look when they are on and use em all the time. so I burned out 1 of them. still not sure how to get back there and replace em. When ready I will look online for a how to somewhere

2) Is replacing the brake which easy? I am pretty handy, but have yet had to do anything with this car.

3) I still have CPO, Audi should fix this problem, but how do I convince them that there is something wrong?

thanx in advace
-Alex

Old 04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Site Moderator

Well in that case, you need to take off the trim on the trunk lid. There should be a couple philips screws to take out, then take off the plastic covering on the trunk latch, then its just a matter of pulling on it and releasing the clips. Its better to look behind it and use a trim panel tool or long scewdriver where the clips are to prevent breaking the plastic holders. There may be a few other screws to take out after that to get the bulbs out, i can't remember.

A competent tech can figure out whats wrong with the brake light switch using the factory scan tool. If you had a VAG COM i could tell you how to diagnose the switch. Just make sure to tell him that your brake lights stayed on a few times after you left the car and he should have a good handle on it, its a pretty common problem.

Changing the switch really isn't that hard, you just have to be carefull. If you want to do it yourself, take off the trim under the over the brake and gas pedal. Disconnet the connector to the brake light switch, then twist the switch and pull it out of its holder. When installing the new one, slowly push in the switch all the way, then turn it until it locks into place. If it doesn't want to turn, DON'T FORCE IT!!! Once you have the switch in, check the brake light operation, if the brake lights don't come on, or stay on all the time, take out the switch and pull out the thimble. Pulling out the thimble won't break the switch, just be gentle with the stupid thing and try it again.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:39 AM

great help. thanx auditech