Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arg! Water pump killed my car!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Arg! Water pump killed my car!

Ok , has anybody had this happen? Our water pump pulley tried to fall off and dumped all its fluids onto the ground so we had it towed home . the water pump pulley made the timing belt super loose and the cam alignment is off by about two teeth , using the cam bar and crank lock pin .
I was going to replace all the parts re align everything correctly and hand rotate the engine to see if anything is hitting then check the compression . would that be the correct thing to do ? great time to crap out on us ! Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2010, 07:42 AM
2nd Gear

You've got the right idea. Good luck!

Bob

Old 12-25-2010, 03:54 PM
1st Gear
Default grrrr

Thanks Bob , well i did all that and the engine seems to have zero compression i can turn it over with ease to easy in fact ,so i guess i will be doing a comp test next . ( getting a sinking feeling in the gut that it has bent valves )

Old 12-26-2010, 08:42 AM
2nd Gear

My water pump blew out also but I managed to get the car to the side of the road before the timing belt let go. Sounds like you have a decision to make.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

well i hope doing the heads isnt to hard ., my bently book doesnt go into detail about any of that , is there a better book?

Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

doing the heads isn't too bad. You do need a special tool for the head bolts and since they are torque to yield bolts they need to be replaced out taken out. There are quite a few threads out there about getting the heads off, just google it

Old 12-26-2010, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jhuffman
doing the heads isn't too bad. You do need a special tool for the head bolts and since they are torque to yield bolts they need to be replaced out taken out. There are quite a few threads out there about getting the heads off, just google it
I agree, if you have another car to tide you over just take your time. Same thing happened to me with my Audi 100. I ended up leasing another car and then just took my time, took a lot of photos and marked all of the wires so I could get them back in the right place. Took a couple of months and about $1,500 in parts machine shop time (to plane the heads and install the new valves and guides). Sold the car when it was done. It had 128k on it at the time. Ran into the owner a few years ago and the engine was still running with over 230k miles.

Have fun.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:48 AM
1st Gear

Well I guess that's what I'll be doing , I could almost het a whole motor. For 1500 bucks with around 60 k on it , would that be a better idea or just stick with the heads , thanks for all the input

Old 12-27-2010, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear

A used motor generally, in my experience, works out a bit cheaper than a rebuild, but with a rebuild you know what you have. If you are planning on selling the car, go used. If you need the car quickly, go used. Otherwise, rebuild.

Bob

Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

I say go used. With 173k on yours now, a 60k motor is practically a virgin.

Quick Reply: Arg! Water pump killed my car!