Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arg! Water pump killed my car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

Torque converters are known to fail on these cars. Not at a certain mileage but I hear about it all the time. You will literally have it in your hand. At that point you'll know how hard it would be to replace if it fails.

I would send mine out to Dacco of detroit and have it rebuilt for about $150.00

They may have a rebuilt on the shelf and take yours as a core Call them with your trans model and see what's best for you.

http://www.daccoatparts.com/source/p...onverters.aspx

Things You should consider other than just an engine

Torque converter
Any seals on the rear of the replacement engine if not all over it.
I would change as many seals as I could, Not head gaskets but easy crap.
New water pump, thermostat, timing belt, rollers and tensioner.
Obviously exhaust gaskets, Vacuum lines, filters, engine oil etc...
Transmission fluid if not a filter and gasket as well.
Inspect your engine mounts.
There will be other misc. stuff too.

I would try to locate an engine out of the same exact car.
Do not trust on line sources they will hose you and send you what ever they want. If that's the way you need to go call SHOKAN www.shokan.com
you can trust them.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

If your going to have the engine out anyway it just makes sense to replace the TC while you have access to it.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Entrega de anillo de compromiso | Momentos VoloPapilio.

edited

Last edited by dianalois79; 11-28-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

morirse you filthy spammer

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default engine

Ok , well its been a while and now its time !!! I took the heads off my 2.8 and let me say i miss working on my 69 firebird !!!!! anyway i looked at the valves and i dont see anything wrong with them and no signs of them hitting my pistons so now i say wtf!!! why didnt it have compression ? I know i needed to change my seals and what not but this is a little extensive LOL id post pics but i have no idea how to do it . give me some feed back .
oh i do have to say what a awesome piece of art they are !

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
1st Gear
Default Cam Shaft

My water pump didn't malfunction, but my cam shaft position sensors are messed up, according to Vag-Com. Its reading Bank1 open circuit/short to B+, and Bank 2 open circuit/ short to B+. I have no idea where or what Bank 1 or 2 are, and my car won't start, if anyone has advice it will be greatly appreciated. Where are the ports, how to i fix the short?

The car turns over, but when the ignition is turned it sounds like loose electricity is being released on the drivers side near the windshield. Any advice will be greatly accepted and appreciate.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

I haven't the slightest clue what B+ is either.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by R-bo
Ok , well its been a while and now its time !!! I took the heads off my 2.8 and let me say i miss working on my 69 firebird !!!!! anyway i looked at the valves and i dont see anything wrong with them and no signs of them hitting my pistons so now i say wtf!!! why didnt it have compression ? I know i needed to change my seals and what not but this is a little extensive LOL id post pics but i have no idea how to do it . give me some feed back .
oh i do have to say what a awesome piece of art they are !
Just because the valve don't look bent does not mean that they are not bent slightly and therefore not seating properly. If you know which cylinder had low compression take a look at the valve and seat with a magnifying glass. See if you can slide 0.001" shim stock between the valve heads and the seats.

Also, are you certain that you got the timing correct when you put the new belt on after the pump failure? If you are not certain then perhaps the timing off.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear

Another test is to set the heads upside down (no cams) and pour some kerosene into each chamber. Let it sit. If it leaks, the valves need work.

Bob

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

edited

Last edited by dianalois79; 11-28-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Arg! Water pump killed my car!