Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arg! Water pump killed my car!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

Is there another book with more details about engine removal ?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM
1st Gear

ok , one more thing ( LOL) is the 1999 A4 2.8 automatic the same engine? I keep finding the A4 engine not the A6 2.8

Old 12-30-2010, 07:25 AM
2nd Gear

Yes. Removal will be similar but not exactly the same.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:05 AM
1st Gear
Default engine

Ok , I found a motor with 55k on it and its carfax checks out , now my question is on removal and replacement of said engine. im having a hard time finding a manual that covers that .

Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear

Just thinking about putting an engine in an Audi that I have never seen run scares me plus a 2.8 with only 55K wow! I think you need to be into a used motor cheaper then that to break even. Because of gaskets etc. and come on your going to be looking right at the rear main seal,torque converter, front trans seal, plus you can't trust anyone these days so you have to do the Timing belt, rollers, tensioner and the Water pump. face it your going to be into a 99 for 3-5k. or doing a hell of a lot of work to hose someone. not to mention new cars are 0 down 0 financing 0 payments for 6 months. Selling it is not going to be easy with that kind of competition.

Seriously if your getting that deep into it maybe you should buy another car and put this on e-bay.

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ove...stingtype=used

Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

Unless you are doing this for educational or entertainment purposes, I would have to second jackmup on your reasoning. You could part out your car for more money than it will be worth put back together. Not that that has ever stopped me, but I admit I do it for entertainment purposes and I don't expect to come out ahead.

Good luck, though.

Bob

Old 01-07-2011, 05:06 PM
1st Gear
Default engine

Well im from the school of if you cant pay cash for it you shouldnt be buying it unless its your house . As for the car when rebuilt heads ,gaskets and goods end up costing me the more then a whole complete motor with les than 60 k on it im going with the whole gettup so i guess im crazy plus i really like the car .so i guess im the odd ball on the site so i might as well take a crud load of pics and post it all for the next sucker that goes down my road .

Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

Look on AudiWorld as there is probably an engine removal DIY. The 2.8 from a similar year A4 will fit but you might have to change over the peripherals. It shouldn't be to dificult. Watch the torque convertor when you seperate the engine and transmission as you want it to stay with the tranny and not drop all its fluid out.

But, seriously, change the TC as your year had seal issues and you wouldn't want to put the engine back together just to have the seal die (and take out your transmission) a month down the road. Same for the t-belt. Change it while you have the access. Same for the oil seals. In for a penny, in for a pound!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bob

Old 01-07-2011, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by R-bo
Well im from the school of if you cant pay cash for it you shouldnt be buying it unless its your house . As for the car when rebuilt heads ,gaskets and goods end up costing me the more then a whole complete motor with les than 60 k on it im going with the whole gettup so i guess im crazy plus i really like the car .so i guess im the odd ball on the site so i might as well take a crud load of pics and post it all for the next sucker that goes down my road .
Good for you man!!! Look into torque converters and replace that while your there. Your TC is certainly at the end of it's life. I'll search my paperwork I know I had a cheap source somewhere.

Last edited by Jackmup; 01-07-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 AM
1st Gear
Default tc

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Good for you man!!! Look into torque converters and replace that while your there. Your TC is certainly at the end of it's life. I'll search my paperwork I know I had a cheap source somewhere.
let me know that would be great , and getting a new tc is the thing to do ?

Quick Reply: Arg! Water pump killed my car!