Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 4.2 quattro-2000 automatic issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 4.2 quattro-2000 automatic issues

Hello!

Ill try to explain the problem:
The gearbox works just fine and shifts normal until it all of a sudden locks on third (3) gear (this useally happens after 5-60mins of driving) i think it is. I think its some kind of safemode. All you have to then is the restart the car and it works just fine again for up to an hour
The car has 130 000KM on the speedometer so its not that much and the pre owner had the gearfluid changed.
Im very thankful if you guys can help me out!
I think its some kind of electricalproblem, maybe somekind of relay?

Sorry for my bad English but hope you can figure out what i mean
Best regards from Sweden!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

I would suggest you start the diagnosis by getting the Transmission Control Module (TCM) scanned for any stored codes. If you have any, this is the only way of knowing. Electrical problems with the TCM will not trigger a CEL.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TwinTurboC5
I would suggest you start the diagnosis by getting the Transmission Control Module (TCM) scanned for any stored codes. If you have any, this is the only way of knowing. Electrical problems with the TCM will not trigger a CEL.
i agree. get a vagcom and scan the transmission for codes. is your PRND432 all lit up and highlighted red?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

i agree. get a vagcom and scan the transmission for codes. is your PRND432 all lit up and highlighted red?

whoops! sorry for the double post. lol

Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM
1st Gear

Alright ill do that scan! "Electrical problems with the TCM will not trigger a CEL" a "CEL" is the safetymode right? Tried to google it but didnt get any clues..

Budhani786: Dunno if PRND432 is all lit up and highlited red- will look it up. Btw isnt all things in the the display red and should be? Thats how Audi made it or what

Sorry my first Audi (Only had Mercedes before so this is all new to me)

Someone told me that the gearbox could have to little oil and another one that its the gearbox steeringrelay (about 200-300Euro on ebay) thats seen the best of its days..

well thank you for your help!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

Went by my Audidealer today and they had never heard of this problem before, and certainly not on a 4.2 which is very rare in Sweden (Nearly all a6 are 1.8Turbo/2.4v6 here..)
But they thought it was something electrical.. So ill do this Vagcom scan nextweek which costs about 70$ here.. They told me that i also hade some more advanced failsearch (then they had the car for about 1.5hours and tested various things..) and that goes for 300$, very expensive i think...
I will work this **** out im very sure about that oh yes.
Well ill hope i dont kill your eyes with my english lol...

Have a good night and go hard on the alcohol.
mvh

Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

Hello,
Went to my dealer today and did a diagnosis scan, turns out the "Getriebesteuerung" or as you say: transmisson box which is placed under the passengerseat (or where the passenger have its foots, under the floormat) is the things thats cousing this.
So im looking for at box with the numbers
4BO 927 156 CH.
A new box costs around 1500$.. A used one goes for around 50-300$!
Or if i can find someone that can fix the one i have.

Quite common problem it turns out due to bad placement of the box. And audi have a "serviceorder" out for all the A6es (in europe at least) that the draining under the battery may couse that the box will be flooded with water.. Prob what have happend to my car.

Rly hard for me to explain but hope you get some of it.
All the best/
Felix