General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Audi a4 1.8t quattro startup/turnoff issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy 2000 Audi a4 1.8t quattro startup/turnoff issues

my stock 2000 audi a4 quattro of about 155000 miles lately has been having a problem where, on the first occasion i noticed it, i was at a stoplight idling and my car cut off and wouldnt start back up, had to have a truck help drag it into a parking lot because it was on a hill and i couldnt move it by myself...my brother checked out the spark plug area and noticed there was oil leaking into the first 2 spark plug cylinders (my car vocabulary is poor and i apologize im not very good with cars)...he replaced a seal and the gasket at the top of the block and the problem hasnt been happening since and i didnt have the problem for a while...oh yeah during all that the car turns over it just doesnt catch and start up...anyway, since then, during the past few weeks my car while idling will sometimes cut off and then start back up but then later on when i go to start it up it turns on but then immediately turns off and won't start back up, hours go by and it wont start up and then randomly the next day it will start up and then work all day again no problem, i read about it being a coolant temperature sensor, which is to say my brother read about it after researching it, and i went to a mechanic and he replaced it because after he did a diagnosis the computer was getting the wrong temperature readings and we realized it needed to be replaced so he replaced the CTS and the car started and didnt have any random sputtering problems like it had been having before and i thought it was fine until i go to leave for work today and my car, again, wont start..im getting really annoyed and im afraid im going to be fired because my job is delivering pizza (i know, thats a bad job for an audi but i have to do what i can with this economy)...im taking it back to the mechanic so he can look further into the problem and try to figure out what it is and was wondering if anyone has any ideas i might be able to bring with me when i go back in the next couple days? sorry for the long paragraph that isnt seperated and whatnot..thanks for any help