Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 ECU Stress / Flashing Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Default Audi A6 ECU Stress / Flashing Lights.

Hi, I'm new here - looking for some information - and you guys seem to know what you're talking about.

I've just bought a 1998 Audi A6 2.4 SE (V6). All was fine until a few thousand miles ago when I got a Brake Fluid Warning Light (as well as the bleep from the dash) - I stopped, checked the levels and they were fine, I then, a few miles later got the Engine Oil Pressure Light, again with the tone from the dash - again I checked the oil level and all was fine.

I now have the following situation. After about 15 Miles (approx) when I start using the car in the morning I get the Brake Warning Light, the Oil Pressure Light (both flashing) and the ABS Light. The performs as normal. After a while (variable) I get the traction control light come on, as If something is trying to reset its self and everthing returns to normal - a few miles later it can all happen again - returning me to the "Flashing Light" situation.

I have removed and re-fitted the ECU, I have also checked all the connections - to the best of my ability.

My quesiton is thus - is there any form of "Reset" on the ECU I need to do? If so how, I'd rather not roll it into a garage and get ripped off for a new ECU if I do not actually need one. Does anyone know where I should concentrate my attention? I am a systems engineer and not afraid to investigate but car control systems are a little alien to me. . . . . . . .

It's almost as if the ECU is doing a periodical check on something - sometimes it gets the answer it wants - others it does not.

The car is actually running as sweet as a nut - Any advise though would be gratefully received!

Regards & Cheers
John

Old 04-02-2005, 12:30 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Audi A6 ECU Stress / Flashing Lights.

You might want to invest in buying a Vag-Com from ross-tech.com. It will let you know what the stored error codes are. Removing the ECU should reset it as well as disconnecting the battery for a half hour or so.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
3rd Gear

Welcome to Audi Forums SamuelJ!

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Then be sure to search the archives when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information to answer your question. If you still need answers, please feel free to ask questions.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics.
================================================== ==========================================

No need to replace the ECU. Best advice is to get the VAG, or find a friend with one who can help. You should have the ECU scanned to see what codes are being displayed. Then you can clear the codes.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:21 AM

Thank you for all your comments & suggestions - I've handed the car over to a man this morning with such a device. I'll await word and post the results here if there is interest.

Many thanks to all for now.

Regards
John

Old 04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, definitely post the results.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Hi there,

Did you ever get this problem sorted out?