Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Leaking Air Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 Leaking Air Noise

Hey, I have a 2002 audi a6 2.7. recently i have had some problems with the engine.

-First there is a distinct noise near the back of the engine that sounds like air is spraying out, some sort of leak I am guessing but not sure.

-Also when idling the car can be a bit shaky, but not always, last mechanic also said that the car is burning more oil than normal.

-Lastly I have had some brake issues in the rear, and when i am driving I hear a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the rear but not sure. hoping that it is not from the engine or that these issues are not related.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

The air noise will most likely be an air leak INTO the motor or air induction as opposed to it spraying out.

With the motor running (cold to warm is best, carb cleaner is flamable), take a can of carb cleaner with the straw on and spray it at vacuum hose connections, one at a time and listen if the motor makes a different sound (idle rising or stalling). If it isn't a hose connection, then go onto gasket sealed connections.

I just had an entire bank of cylinders misfiring and it was an air leak past the EGR valve gasket. The shakiness will be the car missing/misfiring due to the leak.

The ticking could be a piece of you brake hardware (clip, shim etc) come loose and touching somewhere, or it could be something caught up somewhere??

Happy hunting.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 AM
2nd Gear

all of these little noises are Audi's way of telling you to buy a honda....

The vac lines need to be replaced every other year, they are cheap and easy, but once one cracks its time to do them all, A vacuum leak will cause it to shake and respond terrible.

clicking how?
happens only when you nail it?
does it click all the time?
check the CV joint boots for tears,
if that side has a big tear, that's an indicator.
bearings would also be a possibility.

i would recommend you have someone take a look at the noise, its one of those things, if a mechanic can hear it he'll know where its coming from quickly. but it would help to hear it and move the car around a little.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Vacuum lines every other year? Uh oh. I am eleven years overdue.