Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Life Span??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear

I had only 150k on my 2002 a6 with the 4.2 engine however the car was going strong, started up even in -10F weather and kept our family safe in the winter time.
I had no major issues and the only time the car let me down is when the alternator and battery died (which happens with all cars sooner or later). Other than that I've never been stranded and never felt like the car was falling apart on me.

Just 2 weeks ago we traded her in for a b8 S4 prestige (6mt). Only got 2.5k out but heck I didn't need her sitting in the driveway and never get driven. Sad to see her go - there was a lot of sentimental value there (my wife learned driving in that car, long story) and mechanically I can't think of any issues the car had. The paint was fading a little bit since the previous owner didn't take great care of it and I didn't have a garage
But overall I loved that car and really had a hard time trading her in.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 AM
1st Gear
Default 00, A6, 2.7t w/ 206k

Joe, similar dilemma... we have the 2000 A6, 2.7t w/ about 206k on the odo. Bought it for my wife w/ 160k from the neighbor who was about to give it to charity. Wife wanted an automatic for her daily commute (30 mile round trip) and was coming home loudly announcing how many shifts (165) each direction was requiring. And so the neighbors 2.7t availed itself... it required a new timing belt, water pump, some seals, suspension bits etc. but being a single lady w/ no kids the car looked great inside/out and for a total of about $5k we'd pretty much conquered many of the gremlins. 4 years and 40k miles later the turbos may be spinning their last; the tranny requires a topping every 8 months or so and yes, we're wondering... which way to go with it. Can't really sell it for anything; the compression came back good but I suspect it will cost about $5k for rebuilt turbos and tranny... throwing good money after bad? But you buy a replacement for $6k and who knows what you're buying into? Wife doesn't want a new car cause of the parking garage at work and the whole image thing... she's a physician and would rather be seen in a beater than not. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by Joeski
Jeff,

Couldn't agree more....and let me add that 2 of my neighbors, 1 owns a Lexus GS300 and the other has an M3 and theylove there autos. The Lexus owner has driven both my car and the M3 and he has plainly said that our cars keep you "involved" with your driving because of how they feel and respondon the road to where he said his Lexus can lull you to sleep because of the lack of "feel". He is an older gentleman that said he preferred the Lexus because of his age and the "comfort" factor, but he saidif he was younger could see himself driving the BMW and Audi. He also said our interiors looked more elegant as well.

OOOO