Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi a6 quattro 2001 coolant liquid disappear

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi a6 quattro 2001 coolant liquid disappear

Hi All,

Few days ago I was driving for 20 mins after starting the car. Then all the coolant just leaked on the street. And I filled up the coolant container and when I arrived in front of my house after 10 mins of drive, it spilled all over the ground again. I then put stop leak in the container with coolant and followed instruction. Engine still was over heating and coolant disappeared this time did not spill all over the street.

I then took it to the garage, but before I take it there I had filled coolant container again and once I arrived at the garage the coolant liquid was gone but I do not see it leaking. And engine eventually started over heating.

Mechanic said the Radiator hose that takes to the expansion tank needs to be changed and that's the problem. But auto part stores were closed it was a saturday and he cut the current hose a bit and put some coolant liquid and stop leak and told me to see if it works out. When I reached my house coolant liquid disappeared again and engine was over heating. The day after I put some coolant liquid but did not drive and after few hours it disapparead but no sign of leak or it didn't spill on the street. IT CAN'T BE MAGIC CAN IT????

Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds to me that only the fluid in your expansion take is "missing". This is a fairly small amount of fluid compared to the entire contents of your coolant system. Much of the fluid is actually down below where you can't see.

Do not keep driving your car around almost to the point of overheating unless you want to pour thousands of dollars into the engine on repairs.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 AM
1st Gear

Here's a suggestion.....since you know its leaking coolant and can see it on the ground, why not put the car up on a lift, ramp or jackstands, start it and get underneath while its running to see where the coolant is leaking from.

But by all means, stop driving the car around if its overheating! Like the first poster stated you're going to cause some serious and expensive engine damage by doing that. Oh, and that stop leak you put int your cooling system is not a good product to use. It can clog the coolant passages in your radiator and heater core.

Last edited by TwinTurboC5; 01-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

Hi guys, thanks a lot for replying. Well you see the garage is 5 min from my house so I can drive up to there and engine won't over heat.

The mecanic said Radiator hose that connects Radiator to Water Pipe, to Expansion tank needs to be changed. So it could be that coolant in the expansion tank is missing. However I need to mention that the heat wind is COLD it does not heat even if engine over heats.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

These problem are all related. Get the coolant system working properly again. Your heat isn't working properly because there isn't enough coolant to circulate through your heater core.