Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 Noise

Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 Noise

I have a 2003 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 with 102,000 miles on it. The last month or so it has been making a ticking noise. The noise has gotten louder over time. The noise is always there and gets louder as the rpm's go up. If I listen under the hood the noise seems to be coming from the back of the engine on the passenger side. It sounds more like a slapping or clanking noise now. The car runs fine with no power loss or lights on the dash.

I noticed the noise around the time I had my oil changed the first time. I didn't know what was previously in the car so I put in Mobil One 0w30 synthetic as the owners manual recommended. I ran the car for about 1,000 miles and decided to have it changed again with oil that I purchased because I didn't see the mechanic change my oil before. I put the same Mobil One 0w30 in it again but the noise was still there. After about 500 miles I had it changed again but this time with Pennzoil 5w30 platinum synthetic. I have put about 1200 miles on the car since then and it has just gotten worse.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by jjhackn; 12-22-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

cam chain tensioner. get it fixed now

Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Video

I made a couple videos with my iphone. It is dark but you will get the point.

How difficult is it to replace the cam chain tensioner?

Audi A6 making noise - YouTube

Audi A6 making noise - YouTube

Old 12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Stethoscope Results

I bought an automotive stethoscope today at advanced to pinpoint the sound. I attached a picture below with a green arrow pointing at the spot where the noise is coming from. The guys at advanced told me it sounds like a stuck lifter.

The car runs fine and does not have any check engine lights on. There is no loss of power or anything else but the noise.

Attached Thumbnails Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 Noise-12766567_3.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 PM

I don't know enough about the 3.0 to offer an intelligent answer. in the 2.7T and the 2.8 the noise, as you described it, is the perfect description of the cam chain tensioner. researching the 3.0 a bit, it seems that your cams are set up so that both cams on each bank run off the timing belt. therefore, it seems like a different system than the one I am more familiar with. sorry I can't help

Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Lifter

I took my car to the dealer today to inspect the noise. They told me that the lifter is the problem but they need to remove the valve cover to inspect and give me a definite answer on the problem. Along with that they would have to replace the timing belt. A grand total of about $2800. Is it necessary to replace the timing belt? Also, does anyone have a diagram or any steps on removing the valve cover to inspect the lifter?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:55 AM

go to audiworld, tech articles. there is a pretty good write-up for doing the timing service on the 3.0, which involves removing the valve covers. It may not be necessary to replace the timing belt, but this is one of those jobs that it makes sense to do it because you are probably 90% of the timing job to do the lifter. Also explains why the techs hate the 3.0. big PITA to work on (time consuming).

if you can't find the article on your own, let me know and i will try to link it for you, but I sometimes have issues trying to link to the tech articles.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

If you have not done the TB yet, you are due at 102k. It should be done in the 80-90k range. It takes a couple more hours on the 3.0 than the 2.7T. I just did my daughter's A4 3.0 at my indie shop and it was $1200. Dealer could be 30-50% more. I cannot answer the lifter question, but I have occasionally heard of these engines incurring abnormal wear on the camshaft which could cause lifter problems. Find a good indie shop if you can, you'll probably save a grand over the dealer. If you are in SW Michigan, I can recommend one.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

It sounds like a collapsed lifter.
That's really all that's there. There is NO Chain on a 3.0 these are hydraulically adjusted and timed through the belt.

I pulled my heads and replaced mine along with the valve seals but you can do it in the car if the mechanic has the proper equipment.

Ask him to replace the valve seal on that valve also they cost a dollar - 1 down 29 to go

You need to leave Audi and go find a European gear head in a local shop that is familiar with this engine. It would take me more than a day to do it all the cams need to be removed timing belt and everything else should be replaced at the same time, there coming off anyway.

There is no way on this earth I would let Audi's techs touch that job I did my own but I wouldn't recommend you try, Just ask around you'll find someone.

If you can narrow it down to the last cylinder (3) with your stethoscope than just order all the lifters for that cylinder, exhaust and Intake, and 5 valve seals and a few valve spring keepers in case one gets dropped in the process.

Last edited by Jackmup; 12-24-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Worn Cam

Thank you guys for all your help so far.

I have the bentley manual on its way and I am probably going to be doing any repairs myself since the dealer is so expensive and every shop around has declined working on Audis.

I have been doing a lot of research and have noticed that there is a service bulliten on worn cams for the 3.0 engine. I have seen other post with similair noise that ended up being the worn cams. This always seems to be the same cam on the passenger side for every engine.

Do you guys have any input on this or suggestions?

Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 Noise