Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery charge dropped suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Battery charge dropped suddenly

Hello,

I own a 2000 A6 2.7 I bought at an insurance auction. I replaced the front bumper cover, or at least the shop I pad to did. This was Early to mid September. A few days ago I got in my car and started it and the battery or charge indicator on the display showed the vehicle at 12 amps rather than almost full as usual. I figured maybe the cold was killing the battery and driving it would help charge it. NO SUCH Luck. When I got in my car in the morning to leave work the car showed the power at the halfway mark of 8. I live about 5 miles from my work, and in that 15 minute drive during morning rush the power needle began to drop until the battery symbol lit up. I was sitting in a turn lane ready to turn into my street with oncoming traffic and the needle almost hit zero, the car began to freak out and so did I. I was able to get into my driveway, and now I start the car and its power level is at around 6-7. I would think if it was the battery it would not dye so rapidly. Any ideas....please do not tell me the alternator . The person who owned this car before I dont think did any upkeep. To boot I found weed in the car ..."I swear officer that was in their when i bought the vehicle" yeah right. I love this car even though it goes through gas like its free. Thanks for any suggestions

Old 12-22-2010, 01:41 PM
1st Gear

sure sounds like the alternator need to check it with a voltmeter to see if you are getting any out put. If its a bad alternator it is a real pita to get to!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by padog
sure sounds like the alternator need to check it with a voltmeter to see if you are getting any out put. If its a bad alternator it is a real pita to get to!
alternator or voltage regulator!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks to all. I will go past the auto store and have them check it the voltage regulate and alternator

Old 12-22-2010, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. Do you happen to know where I can get a how to or diy on removing and replacing the alternator? I noticed that the serpentine belt also whines when started. Once that began this problem occured. This may have to be replaced as well, do you consider that task a DIY job? any idea where to find out info on how to do this? Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 AM
2nd Gear

Look on AudiWorld as most DIYs are posted there. Some people recommend changing the starter when changing the alternator becuase both are a PITA and, to change the starter you have to remove the alternator.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:23 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like the amount of money in your wallet is about to drop suddenly too

Sounds like alternator and I have not heard many good things about Autozone alternators.. if you are ripping the front of your car off to change the alternator .. better make sure you get a quality one .. or do what i did and get your own rebuilt.