Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billowing smoke, flashing oil can, OH Crap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default Billowing smoke, flashing oil can, OH Crap!

Yep that’s what happened to me yesterday. This was accompanied by the pungent smell of burnt oil.

Since I was driving at 80 MPH and at an exit ramp, I turned off the motor and rolled into a gas station. The smoke that poured from the vehicle when I lifted the bonnet (hood) confirmed that I was in trouble. Pulling the dip stick revealed a serious lack of oil, so I promptly added four quarts. With my fingers crossed I turned the key and it immediately started with the oil can light off.

Since I’m a daring type guy, re-entered the highway heading towards home followed by a blue cloud of smoke. About 20 miles later I pulled into an Autozone, purchased another gallon of oil, and added two more quarts.

I called my best friend mechanic. He laughed and said that he was very busy thru the middle of next week so I drove another 5 miles home. I put it in the garage, change my cloths, and crawled under the oily –smelly beast. I’ll leave out the part where I began swearing about the belly pan, the mess, German engineering, the economy, the cold weather, and Christmas.

To use a Christmas phrase – “What to my wondering eyes should appear but a bunch of oil dripping from near the oil filter.” Upon closer inspection I found that the damn O-ring behind the oil cooler had decided to stop acting like a seal. After $5.71 for a new O-ring from Audi (I know - I could have gotten a 58 x 5 mm O-ring for $1.00 from NAPA) and a bit of oil and antifreeze, everything is fine.

Lessons learned.
Billowing smoke and a flashing oil can in an Audi is bad news.
If you stop right away you will not ruin a motor.
Best friend mechanics can be cruel at times.
It does no good to swear about the weather or Christmas.
Audi dealers charge a minimum of 5 times what a part really costs.

Next time I’m working on a 2.8, I’m changing the O-ring!!

Old 12-18-2009, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear

I bet that was not a fun experience. I had a similar situation when my coolant hose to the heater core gave about a year ago. Water steam blowing everywhere... Luckily I was about 1/4 mile away from the house coming off ramp. Water temp never rose.

Anyways, Better than spending $850 on all four O2 sensors recently... Merry Christmas.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Wink Serious Love

A friend told me today, after buying a used Audi;

he once had a co-worker who bought a used Audi while all his friends bought 4X4 trucks. When asked why he bought the Audi, the Audifile replied,

"Can't you tell I love the Audi, I'm working on it all the time!"

Thanks for the lesson of the 'O-ring.'

Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 AM
3rd Gear

LOL...I missed this anectode!! Thanks for sharing it, Fred. With your indulgence I'll just quote you:
Originally Posted by NH_USA
So if a person has little or no money and they own an Audi they are brainless. That goes double for midwest folks, PA guys, Cali freeks, and dummies from NH.. But we love our Audis!!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM

My 1996 Audi A6 Quattro is waiting for that very same oil cooler seal to be replaced. It suddenly started leaking a few weeks ago as though the seal had ruptured. The oil just got on the plastic belly pan and then on the ground.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:37 AM
3rd Gear

It's an easy fix -- I sugest ya all consider doing it as a part of the second timing belt change.

Why do these things always happen when the temp goes down and there is snow everywhere??