Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blower motor not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Blower motor not working

1998 A6, 2.8 30v. For a few days the blower motor would cut out after car ran for 15 minutes. Then it just stopped working. I thought it was the blower motor resistor. Bought a new one of those and it did not solve the problem. Climate control seems ok, vent selection works, and it turns on and off fine.
Took the motor out, hooked to a battery (at parts store), it ran fine.
Tested power at bower fuse 12-13v, tested power at resistor, the plug has three slots. Got .45 volts there, seems low? Tested power at blower plug, got 12 volts.
I am totally confused, if the blower motor is getting power why is it not running. There are no obstructions, and it ran at the parts store when hooked directly to a battery.

Is there any other part to look at. When removed the glove box there were about three different electronic modules. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:51 AM
1st Gear

Problem solved. As I was testing the volts on the clip for the blower motor resistor I noticed the wires were melted at the point where I had spliced in the wires from a replacement from 30 months ago. In hindsight probably just twisting them together may not have been the best idea. So think that bad connection may have contributed to the blower motor resistor failing 5 months ago. And now I realize while sometimes the climate control would act up, minor shorting.
This time I trimmed the wire, wrapped each one in electrical tape, but not bundled together. Also I used wire twist caps. I figured will keep the wire together better and dissipate any heat. Any comments on this method?
Also note I had lighting problems. The passenger side foot well, glove box and door puddle light were not working. Again in hindsight this was because the the short was causing some other problems.