Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Which brake fluid?

So my lovely local Audi dealership changed my brake fluid on Tuesday. I've had a spongy pedal since then, and this morning my brake warning light is flashing all the way to work (the text in the speedo, not the pad light in the center display). The manual tells me it is low brake fluid.
SO, I look under the hood when I get to work... there is NO brake fluid to be found in the reservoir!! WTF?!?!
So I'll be picking up fluid myself at Autozone to fill it up unless Audi wanted to refund me my entire bill to have me literally go out of my way to bring it back to them and make it right... good luck with that...
I got the specs from the manual which say to use SAE J-1703 fluid w/ a standard of 116... Is there any risk of mixing and matching whatever fluid is in there with whatever I pick up at Autozone, and is there any specific product I should look for or stay away from , whether it's DOT 3, 4 or 5, any brands, etc.
Thanks for any help!
Jeremy

Old 07-02-2009, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear

DOT 4 fluid is the requirement. It should clearly say on the reservoir cap. As for the brand, I prefer ATE but I am not sure whether Autozone will carry that. Typically, unless you are autocrossing or something, any fluid will do.

But FYI, if your reservoir is empty, you will need to bleed your brakes once you put new fluid in. In addition, I would check all bleed screws and calipers to make sure that there is no leak. In order for you to completely bleed the brakes, you need just over 1 liter of fluid.

If I were you I would just take the car back to the dealer, cuss them out and make them do it over. And have them throw in a free oil change or something. Given that it is safety and life concerning mistake, that would be the least they can do. Otherwise you would be spending couple of hours, jacking up the car, removing the wheels, bleeding, and all that. Not to mention you would need a brake bleeding tool. (On newer cars with ABS, it is pretty much impossible/or too painful to bleed old fashion way.)

Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
1st Gear

Well, I don't think it was as empty as I first thought it was. Ignorant me didn't know brake fluid was clear, so I couldn't really see an accurate level through the plastic. It only needed to be topped off a bit. Which might make sense, as the light would go off intermittently throughout my ride. I tested it in the parking lot, and the light is gone and the pedal pressure is better than it's ever been.
It might still be leaking somewhere since it didn't go off until this morning, but I'm gonna keep my eye on the level and see what happens...
BTW I called the service manager 2x and he hasn't returned my call yet.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:35 PM
1st Gear

The service manager returned my call, and is very eager to correct the situation. He requested to keep the car overnight to have the techs fully inspect any possible causes. He offered me a loaner. I told him I would only drive an Audi loaner, as this dealership also offers Toyota crap-boxes. He secured the Audi loaner for me. He also offered to refund me 100% of the cost of the initial service.
So, I'm happy with the way they've handled it so far. I did overfill it, but the level settled after a few braking cycles, I guess maybe due to air bubbles?
Either way, I'll drop it off tonight and not worry about it until I hear from them, at which point I'm hoping for an easy and free resolution!
It's always something!
And PS. This New England weather SUCKS!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
3rd Gear

Cool. That is always nice when they do the right thing.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

So, dealer discovered it was the right rear bleeder screw that was loose and leaking. They flushed the system several times, as I had to top it off with DOT 3 fluid (DOT 4 not available at the store I went to),bled and refilled it.
All is well now.
Only bone to pick: The service manager wasn't there when I picked the car up, and upon asking about it, the service rep told me that the $80 "refund" would be given in the form of a credit on my Audi account at the dealer good for $80 worth of my next purchase there! Wtf?? He never mentioned that to me. He said "Gladly refund you 100% of your payment". So I called and left a message on his voicemail asking about it.
Other than that, brakes are 100% and I'm happy to be back in my car.
I had an '09 A6 3.0T which was fun, but I missed my RS6 interior!! Such a tighter sportier cockpit than the '09. I really did love the LED DRL's on the '09, and so did everyone who snapped their necks to see what kind of car it was!!

Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

supercharged 6... Yeah, I just wish I had extra $60k laying around for a new avant. Or I can drop $5K for a PES supercharger, but I don't think my old lady would like that.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

So the 3.0T is the supercharged one?? If so, then "sweet!". Mine felt faster