General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A6 2.7L Quattro 2004 Brake Job and Brake Fluid Flush

Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 2.7L Quattro 2004 Brake Job and Brake Fluid Flush

Just did new Hawk pads on all four corners, new rear rotors, and resurfaced front rotors. I used a pressure bleeder from ECS Tuning to change the fluid with the Blue Racing brake fluid. The pedal still feels soft. With the car running and at a stop I can force the pedal all the way to the floor. It seems to brake better at speeds under 40mph but at higher speeds the pedal travel seems too much and this concerns me.

While I bled the lines I didn't have any noticeable air bubbles coming out of the bleeder screws. I did not run the master cylinder dry as the pressure bleeder kept it full. One thing I did notice is that the clear hose from the pressure bleeder to the reservoir had air in it. There was brake fluid then air then brake fluid. This was only to the reservoir and not at the bleeder screws.

I did not actuate the ABS as the Bentley manual states it is not needed. I also followed the Bentley manual's instructions to bleed front right first, then front left, rear right, and final rear left. Even though this is not the traditional way of bleeding I followed the manual.

I bought this car used and it always had a soft brake feeling. However I never did stomp on the brake pedal before like I did when bedding in the new pads according to Hawk's recommended procedure.

Does anyone else experience this type of soft pedal for more than half the travel then it gets firmer? Is this just the brake force distrubition module's normal behaviour? How about the ESP program will that affect "normal" braking feel? Can anyone press the pedal all the way to the floor or do you feel it finally get stiff and not go any further?