Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake issues

Old 01-24-2010, 03:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake issues

Im trying to figure out this break issue as quickly as I can, as soon as the car is started I get the warning light :Name:  photo-1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  69.5 KB
Then it will alternate between that light and the "Brake Light" warning. I noticed that as soon as it says "Brake Light" the car will hesitate to accelerate and when you take your foot off the gas the car will start to slow down as if the brakes are being pressed. Sometimes at slower speeds you can actually feel the car jerk forward and the speed drops a couple miles within a second or so. Any ideas where to start or what to check out? The car is a 95 A6 with ABS. I am not sure which ABS module the car has or how to find out.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

that indicator on your front dash means your brake pads are worn down, there are sensors in the brake pads that if they get worn down enough it causes that light. The fluttering of the speed may be caused by a faulty abs module, they are pretty notorious to go bad in audi's, mine just went bad and had to get it rebuilt, they are very expensive if you buy a new one. I'd hook up a VAG code reader and see what faults are being spit out and start from there.

If it does turn out your abs control module is bad, you can get them rebuilt for pretty cheap at autoecu.com or modulemasters.com as well.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the quick reply. Do the rear pads have the sensors on them? I just replaced both outter cv boots on the front of the car and the pads on the front have atleast 50% of the pad left with even wear. Is there an alternative to a vag code reader the ones on the vag site are too expensive for me right now and the cheapo ones on eBay are all for OBD-II cars.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gorac369
thanks for the quick reply. Do the rear pads have the sensors on them? I just replaced both outter cv boots on the front of the car and the pads on the front have atleast 50% of the pad left with even wear. Is there an alternative to a vag code reader the ones on the vag site are too expensive for me right now and the cheapo ones on eBay are all for OBD-II cars.
i believe all 4 pads have the sensors and dont quote me on this but i think u can have just the sensors themselves replaced rather than the whole pad if there is still some life on them.

Many of the dealerships and repair shops have the code readers and can perform the diagnostic for you, may cost u some money to get it done but i cant imagine too much if they are just plugging it in and firing it up and checking out what codes are getting spit out.

Or u can check this out and see if any1 lives near u that is willing to let u borrow thiers
http://www.vagtoolfinder.com/
This is just a big list of people that have the code reader and are willing to let u borrow it if u live near them.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 AM
3rd Gear

the free software from RossTech -It works with your laptop or you can get a reeeeeeeeealy loooooooooog cable for your desktop. Do a search in this forum for the details.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Ok, so last night while looking for random stuff in alldata I stumbled across the warning lights. I found out the "brake lights" warning was because a bulb was burnt out. Do'H! Anyway the rear brake pads do not have a sensor only an ABS sensor. I though the preivous owner might have been super cheap and bought sensorless pads but could not find a connector on the car for a sensor wire.

Other then a vag-com I have a diagnostic tool on order. Is there a way to tell with a multimeter or something if the sensor on the front pads have gone bad? Thought about justreplacing them but that $100 to find out it may not be the sensor

Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM
3rd Gear

The sensor is a wire that is embeded in the pad - when it wears to a certain piont the wire is cut and the light comes on.

There are no wires -sensors on the rear

Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 PM

If you save the old brake pad sensor wires with the terminal connector with the two pins, you may use it to fix your problem. Just solder the two wires together, then plug it in to the terminal socket which is on the end of the cable going through the wheelwell wall.