Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUDI GENUINE TORQUE CONVERTER vs AFTERMARKET

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Default AUDI GENUINE TORQUE CONVERTER vs AFTERMARKET

I've been told that I need a new torque converter.
My warranty company does not want to pay for a genuine audi replacement because they state that there are cheaper aftermarkets out there.

Does anyone have any experience with this. I have a 2.7T 02 A6. Would it really matter? As always any advise is very much welcome...thank you.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 PM

My torque converter went out on my W8 4motion passat, it has almost same ZF transsmision. My mechanic at the time told me that aftermarket tc are chaper and better (at least the one that he was looking at) and tryed to get my warranty to buy it, however warranty refuesed and paid for OEM tc to be istaled. Hope my this helps a bit.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 AM
2nd Gear

Depends on the manufacturer really but It's probably a reman anyway. You'll be fine, as long as you don't have to pay for it! I would go with the aftermarket or send the blown one out to be rebuilt if it was my car.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Site Moderator

The one you will get from audi is most likely a remanufactured unit, torque converters are fairly simple so its easy to rebuild. In my opinion i would just send in your current torque converter to level 10 (or similar) to have it rebuilt for above spec levels. That of course is if you wanted to pay for it.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 PM

My warranty company only wanted to pay for a rebuilt, installer claimed there was something improved about the new ones (some manufacturing difference in the part). The warranty company agreed to split the difference with me - all turned out OK.