Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Recommendations Please

Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake Pad Recommendations Please

2000 A-6 Quattro 2.7 Bi Turbo

Looking for input on brake pads for my wife's Audi.
I have read that Organic are very soft and squeal and make much dust, and Ceramic are hard, do not squeal and make virtually no dust and semi-metallic pads are in the middle.
What say you all for brake pad recommendations?
The current pads I think are organic and I clean the wheels at least once a week just to keep the dust from building up as they get very dirty with brake dust.
I tried to get Kleen Wheels dust shields but they did not have a set that fit this Audi.
I have them on my Benz and love them.
Looking for new pads front and rear for the A-6 and need opinions
Thank you in advance,
Kurt

Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 PM

I have the same problem. I'm pretty sure that ceramic is the way to go. I'm going to be replacing my front discs and pads soon and will be buying them from Blauparts.com. They sell a kit with everything. I've ordered parts from them many times and have always been satisfied.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
2nd Gear

Read through this thread;
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130681

Just make sure the fronts have the wires and get the shim plates if yours are gone. I made a disk brake quiet sandwich with mine, I spread it over the back of the pad then installed the shim.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:21 AM
3rd Gear

I had brake pads done by the dealer at 48k under warranty and at 101k by my indie shop. The latter works on a number of my cars and has been very reliable. He used Centrex pads. Very low dust and performance, for my conservative driving, has been fine. I have 138k on the car now. Whatever you do, you will want to consider replacing the brake fluid if it has not been done and think about replacing the rubber brake lines with stainless steel.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear

Answer to a brake selection question always depends on your personal preference. What are you looking to do with it? Just daily driving? Joy riding? Auto crossing?

As you know, organic brake compounds are the entry level pads. Ceramic is good in wear and brake dust reduction, but in general, semi metallic pads give better performance. BTW, do not ever get a set of racing pads for your street car. These pads require proper heating up before really performing to their potential. So in street application, it will never heat up to its normal working temperature.

With that said, I think you have 2 options. Ceramic or semi-metallic street performance pads. Ceramic, less dust, but lower stopping power. Street performance pads, more dust but higher stopping power in general. I personally prefer more stopping power. So far the best combo that worked for me is the Hawk HPS pads with Brembo blank rotors. Be warn that this combo will generate dust. (Although not as much as organic pads)

In anycase, check out stoptech.com. They have more information than you would ever want to know about brake selection, brake-in procedure, and etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

Hawks HPS, thendo SS brake lines, race fluids.