Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake size

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake size

Hi all, I could use some help selecting brakes for my new Audi A6. its a 2003 2.7t quattro sedan. I would like to replace the front rotors, mostly because they make the car shake a bit when stopping (dealer turned them just before I bought it as a "favor" I guess, first time I drove it was before they did and no problems, just goes to show if it aint broke dont fix it! And if I take it back they will install their own cheapo OEM aftermarket rotors.). Also, I do some fairly spirited driving (dont we all?) and I would like to upgrade to drilled rotors. I am looking at the Zimmerman rotors and "green stuff" pads, any opinions?

My main problem is that I cant find a good resource for which rotors fit which cars, there seems to be some contradicotry ifo out there, especially for ths year and model. What size front do I need? The ones that are on there are vented if that helps. Also, whenI rplace them what is the torque spec for the rotors to hub? I know a good shop manual will probably have this info, but I'm impatient and mine hasnt arrived in the mail yet!

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brake size

ok, well i'm hoping that this will help you out some. i got this from a service manual, it's for your year, make, andmodel obviously. i can definitely see why there'd be conflicting info out there since it looks like they had a couple different sizes for your year. i'm wondering if the production number might be on your stock calipers or disks, then you'd be able to figure out which ones you needed. either that or you could always just go measure. it's either going to be a diameter of 288mm, 312, 321, or 365. as for the pads, my friend has the "green stuff" pads on his supra, and he loves them. as for the torque specs, i'm pretty sure it's just the wheel bolts that hold the rotor to the hub. i don't remember exactly to be honest, but in either case, the wheel bolt torque is supposed to be 120 Nm. ok, well hopefully my rambling helped you out a little bit.
-mike
'03 a6 2.7t front brake specs....

Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

I recently ordered the ebc sport rotors and ebc green stuff pads from www.autopartswarehouse.com. The rotor size is 321mm or 12.6 in. Haven't installed them yet as I still have some life left on the current pads so I can't give my opinion on them yet.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...&partid=78

Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 AM

...there seems to be some contradicotry ifo out there, especially for ths year and model. What size front do I need?...
Hey Jrrbritt

I went through the same trouble a few months ago. I posted a lot of info for someone on VWVortex after I got mine done.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2995079

Some more here
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2927399

Hope these help and aren't too late.

I suggest saving yourself a lot of hassle, by taking off a wheel from the front and rear and checking the part numbers off the rotors that are on the car. My PR codes suggested that the car had 245mm rears, but infact had 255s. My fronts are Zimmermanns and the rears Ate.

Cheers
Massboykie