Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break light indicator is on

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Break light indicator is on

The break light on my '02 A6 2.7T just came on. This car has about 80k and I bought it 45k certified. Should I assume the breaks have never been changed?

I have changed break pads before on other cars, but is there anything that I should be aware of on this car. Can you point me to any DIY guides? Also, where would you go for good deals on replacement breaks (dealership or online)?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Break light is on

OK -- I'm headed for the break room again cause the break light is on.....

Oh I bet you mean the brake light! If it is the one that looks like (( )) it is probably the pads.

If it is BRAKE it could bea couple things - fluid low - bad e-brake switch - etc.

At 80K I would not be suprised if the pads are low.... Not hard to change -- just messy

Don't goto the dealer unless you have lots of money to spend.

There are lots of posts about brake reccomendations so my first sugestion isthat you do a search to see what other have said about pads.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that is the light that is on. I searched the forums but most threads were about A4s soI was not sure ifit is the same.Which pads (front orrear) have the sensors?I guess the question is how can I tell which one is bad. I will visually inspect but am wondering how the sensor works. After replacing pads or adding break fluid, will the light go off automatically or do I need to rest something?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM

My break light is on, butmy drivers sidebreak light out. Check your break lights.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:43 PM
3rd Gear

Only front pads have sensors - wires in them - when the wire is cut (low pad) the light comes on - replace the pads (do both), connect the new wires and the (( )) goes off.

If it is brake fluid just add and the light should go off -- PS make sure to use the correct stuff... Fronts last about 40 to 60K sometines longer -- rears about 2x the fronts.

At 80K --I would quess your close to looking at all 4 wheels.As the pads wear the fluid level drops and sometimes the light comes on. Adding fluid can turn off thelight but the pads are still low. Unless your comfortable with doing brake work have someone look at it for you. And remember - brakes are more than just pads - there are disks, and calipers involved.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

NH_USA thanks for your help once again. I just called the parts dept at the dealership and he quoted about $120 for front and $68 for rear pads. He needed the VIN number to tell me which pads fits on this car. He said that for a 2002 model you can have three different types of rotors and the pads have to match. The only way to look it up was to see what's on the car right now. Have you heard of this before? Or, is he just trying to get me to buy it from him.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
3rd Gear

It is best to ask Audi tech79 about that.

You might check some of the online parts sites to see if any list 2 or three different types for your vehicle. don't confuse having a choice of a few different quality pads with different designs.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brake light is on

I hope he sees this thread and providessome insight.