Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bricked MMI or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Bricked MMI or something else?

Ok, long story..

I'm in a 2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro.

There is no water damage or signs if it in the trunk.

This last winter I had some loud screeching happen over the speakers that wouldn't stop. I unplugged the amp in the truck and it sorted itself out.

The MMI has always been glitchy, but totally functional.

3weeks ago I was on a gravel road and hit some rough spots. Later that same night the MMI started going nuts - crashing, speakers w/ popping noises, and no access to Sirius.

Next day I unplugged the amp and it started working again. Next couple days same thing over. Then nothing. So I've started pulling the fuses and it sometimes works, sometime well other times with glitches.

Decided to update MMI from 1070 to 4610. Used Audi disks and it worked. The update seemed to work. However the CD player/changer wouldn't play cds with out sounding like it was skipping.

Day later same crap, crashing etc. Pulled fuses. My local independent Volkswagen/Audi could get hooked up all and looked at the control board for signs of spills. Didn't find any.

This weekend had a 6 hour road trip didn't work at all for first hour. After that it did but glitchy.

Decided to reinstall 4610.

Here's where I'm at. It stalled for 2.5 hours and there was a alternating popping noise around the speakers. finally I said screw it and reset the MMI and pulled the battery charger off.

Now I've got nothing. The Audi MMI logo will pop up then it goes black. Pulling fuses doesn't work, I've disconnected the battery. I've given up hope, lol!

My independent guy wants to start looking at the blue tooth module under the seat, I think the amp and at this point maybe the MMI is bricked.

So.

1. How do I know the MMI is bricked?

TodayI unplugged the fiber optic on the amp and there was no red lights and the Audi MMI logo will come up.

2. If it isn't bricked any thoughts on where to start?

I live an hour from the dealership and they don't have the best reputation.

Please any input would mean a lot.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Thirteenluck
Ok, long story..

I'm in a 2005 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro.

There is no water damage or signs if it in the trunk.

This last winter I had some loud screeching happen over the speakers that wouldn't stop. I unplugged the amp in the truck and it sorted itself out.

The MMI has always been glitchy, but totally functional.

3weeks ago I was on a gravel road and hit some rough spots. Later that same night the MMI started going nuts - crashing, speakers w/ popping noises, and no access to Sirius.

Next day I unplugged the amp and it started working again. Next couple days same thing over. Then nothing. So I've started pulling the fuses and it sometimes works, sometime well other times with glitches.

Decided to update MMI from 1070 to 4610. Used Audi disks and it worked. The update seemed to work. However the CD player/changer wouldn't play cds with out sounding like it was skipping.

Day later same crap, crashing etc. Pulled fuses. My local independent Volkswagen/Audi could get hooked up all and looked at the control board for signs of spills. Didn't find any.

This weekend had a 6 hour road trip didn't work at all for first hour. After that it did but glitchy.

Decided to reinstall 4610.

Here's where I'm at. It stalled for 2.5 hours and there was a alternating popping noise around the speakers. finally I said screw it and reset the MMI and pulled the battery charger off.

Now I've got nothing. The Audi MMI logo will pop up then it goes black. Pulling fuses doesn't work, I've disconnected the battery. I've given up hope, lol!

My independent guy wants to start looking at the blue tooth module under the seat, I think the amp and at this point maybe the MMI is bricked.

So.

1. How do I know the MMI is bricked?

TodayI unplugged the fiber optic on the amp and there was no red lights and the Audi MMI logo will come up.

2. If it isn't bricked any thoughts on where to start?

I live an hour from the dealership and they don't have the best reputation.

Please any input would mean a lot.
Have you gotten anywhere with this the exact same thing just happened to me