Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an A6 - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Buying an A6 - need advice

Hey guys. Right now i have a 95 maxima with a few mods. Love the car and will never forget her. However, she's getting old and pretty much starting to fall apart. I'm looking to buy an A6 now with a bankroll of about 8k (yes i know thats not too impressive). I limited my choices to the 2.7 and 4.2 powertrains because there is no way that i will be driving an underpowered, leaning, and generally sluggish 2.8 quat. Having gotten that out of the way I see myself getting a '00 or '01 2.7 or 4.2. Depending on which i get i am planning on getting aftermarket parts as i did for the maxima to turn an already good car into a great car. I have a few general question about the two cars that i hope some of you can help me with.
First of all, as far as i see it, the 2.7 should be more agile due to the turbos, lighter body mass, and greater low-end torque. The 4.2 is heavier and has more power but realisticly- slower acceleration. Is this a generally correct perception?
Also my next concern is the handling. The maxima was much lighter and had a wider stance which led to great cornering and after putting in a stiffer suspension, the car didnt lean at all. How is the audi suspension in terms of cornering, body lean/roll, and steering response?
Audi's reliability reputation is also not the best in the world - which will be a safer buy, the 2.7 (especially the turbo reliability in a used car) or the 4.2?
And lastly what is your opinion in terms of what car is better overall?
Thanks, and i hope to be in an audi in a matter of a few weeks

Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Buying an A6 - need advice

you'll be lucky to get a p.o.s for 8k, i havent seen any a6 for that price, maybe a 97 or later

Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

well i can prob help you pretty well. Car before my 2001 a6 2.7 was a 97 maxima se 5 spd. It had a y pipe, full exhaust, intake, short shifter, full coilovers, full stillen kit, konig's etc. To say the least it was pretty modified. I loved that car and still miss it to this day, it was a blast to drive. The a6 2.7 i have is chipped with piggie pipes and if they were to line up the 6 would win. What you have to understand is an a6 is a HEAVY pig and has alot of body roll in corners. If you do sways and coilovers it will obviously tighten up.

if your spending 8k you can get an a6 but it would have higher miles(actaully selling mine for around that price, pm if you want info) And of course with a bi turbo car it requires more love than a 4.2 N/A. Great car for what it is, a luxury sedan with a little power behind it

Old 05-15-2008, 02:15 PM
4th Gear

there is a wealth of info on this sight comparing the two cars on just about everything under the sun. Look around a little and you should be able to decide what features are most important to you. Either is a great car, one has better (IMO) styling, one has more mods, both have very similar acceleration (stock) and one came stock lower with sport package and stiffer suspension (I believe). One will have turbos that wear out and one will not.