Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a C5 A6 -- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 05:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Buying a C5 A6 -- need advice

I've been looking at cars for a while. The lease on my last car ended, and I just started taking the train to work, so I can't justify a new car. Still, I wanted to buy something I would enjoy without breaking the bank. After about a month of looking, I have my heart set on an A6. It's a little over what I wanted to spend, but I really like it. I am looking at 2 cars: a 2000 2.7T 6-speed with 56K miles, and a 2000 4.2L with 40K miles. Already drove the 2.7T 6-spd, and I really like it. Hoping to see the 4.2 tonight. I need some help figuring out which way to go, so here's a couple of questions:

[ul][*] The dealer selling the 2.7T is not an Audi Dealer. The 4.2 is a private owner. I don't think either car is Audi certified or has any warranty left. Should I worry? Should I take it to an Audi dealer to get checked out? How much should that cost?[*] Is there reason to worry about the reliability of the 2.7T more than the 4.2?[*] The 2.7T with 55K miles is advertised for $16995. It doesn't have Navi. According to the dealer it does not have the sport package, and it does have the cold weather package. They don't know Audis, so they are trying to decipher the codes to tell me what options the car really has. What would you consider a good price for the car? (Oh, BTW, it seems like the previous owner had the grill painted silver so it looks a bit like an S6 grill. Not a very good paint job though. ).[*] The other guy wants $15900 for his 4.2 with 40K miles. The ad says it's got every option including Navi. don't know if it's got the sport package. [DS] Correction: the car does have the sport package. What would be a good price for this car?[*] I've seen people talking about having winter wheels/tires on their A6's. I had a set on my M3, but why is it important on an AWD car? (I am not planning on getting 19" z-rate low profile tires.)[*] I know this has been answered before, but what is included in that package? Is it different between the 4.2 Tip and the 2.7T 6-speed? Would I miss it (i.e. how much difference does it make)? Was it really possible to get the 2.7T 6-speed without it? [DS] Correction: the 4.2 does have the sport package, the 2.7T 6Spd most likely does not.
[/ul]

Anyway, the 4.2 has its advantages (have two kids and wife who doesn't drive stick shift). On the other hand, I really liked the 2.7T, and I like driving manual. Tough choice for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side question related to the 4.2 specifically: I've seen all the posts on GIAC chips (engine and tranny), upsolute chip, H&R shocks and coilovers, K&N filters, and exhausts. I see things like "19hp gain", "50hp+ gain", but I can't find a single post with some dyno information. I'd just like to know what the real impact of each mod is in terms of 0-60 times, etc.

Come on people, pull the bain mass together!

Old 08-17-2005, 06:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Buying a C5 A6 -- need advice

[sm=bounceybounce.gif] -- Bump -- [sm=feedback.gif]

C'mon, help me out! I know you A6 wizards are out there. Speak up, show your wizdom, share the knowledge. It'll make you feel better

Old 08-18-2005, 03:12 AM
1st Gear

Well, for what it's worth: didn't like the 4.2. It's nice, and it's got power, but I really didn't enjoy the drive nearly as much as the 2.7T. So now I just need to find the right 2.7T. Still looking for answers...

Old 08-18-2005, 03:21 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: deniska

Well, for what it's worth: didn't like the 4.2. It's nice, and it's got power, but I really didn't enjoy the drive nearly as much as the 2.7T. So now I just need to find the right 2.7T. Still looking for answers...
i got my 2000 2.7t auto w/tip(love that tip), with 75k for 13,500. Get the 2.7t with tip for your wife, and thetiptronic kinda is a crappy substitute for a manual, but still fun. Where do you live? That will alsodetermine how much your gonna pay. Search autotrader and cars.com in your area, lots of cars

Old 08-18-2005, 01:17 PM
1st Gear

too bad you didn't get the 4.2. A much better car for the $$.

If you go 2.7T, stay away from the 2000 model. Get a 2001 or newer. Also, try and focus on a dealer CPO'd 2.7T....if I were you.

See my links below for more info (hint: Search through audiworld.com)

Old 08-18-2005, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. That 4.2 is still available... It's just that my heart is not in it.

Back to 2.7T. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for the CPO'd cars again. From what I see, they are 4-5 grand more than the rest. Will look again though.

Question: why stay away from the 2000? Is it the "smaller internal oil lines" or something, or is there more to it.

Also, looking at specs for 2000's and 2001's on audiworld, it seems like the sport package in 2000 only included the 17" wheels and a sport steering wheel, while the sport package on a 2001 2.7T included the 17" rims, sport seats, and the tighter/lower suspension. Is that true?

Thanks again. BTW, looking through the audiworld forums is a bitch. I've found quite a bit of info there, but the interface is just horrible. I wish they used the same format/software as this forum.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: deniska

Thanks. That 4.2 is still available... It's just that my heart is not in it.

Back to 2.7T. Thanks for the advice. I'll look for the CPO'd cars again. From what I see, they are 4-5 grand more than the rest. Will look again though.

See my links below for what I did with my aftermarket warranty. If you have a dealer in mind..that will be doing the primary service work on this A6, you should ask them if they resell an aftermarket extended warranty. In fact, my warranty cost me $2K and I've already had $1200 worth of repairs...and still have 2years/30K left. Plus, my aft. mkt warranty is more inclusive than being CPO'd.

Question: why stay away from the 2000? Is it the "smaller internal oil lines" or something, or is there more to it.

yup. Smaller internal oil lines for the turbos plus, that was the first year for the 2.7T. Never buy a first year engine like this.

Also, looking at specs for 2000's and 2001's on audiworld, it seems like the sport package in 2000 only included the 17" wheels and a sport steering wheel, while the sport package on a 2001 2.7T included the 17" rims, sport seats, and the tighter/lower suspension. Is that true? Not sure. If you do get a 2.7T (or 4.2), then you want the sport package...because you get the sportier/tighter sport seats (exactly like what you'd find in a factory US spec RS6; without the logo etc).

Thanks again. BTW, looking through the audiworld forums is a bitch. I've found quite a bit of info there, but the interface is just horrible. I wish they used the same format/software as this forum.

true, the threads in audiworld can be hard to read.(more clicking).....but you'll find a lot of content...if you take the time.
If I had it to do over again...and I had $32-$35K, I'd be buying a used or CPO'd S6 avant....power and functionality all in one package.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 PM
1st Gear

Not very good at answering questions, are ya?

Just kidding, thanks for the help. The closest 2001's I could find in my price range are in Texas and NY (I'm in Chicago), same goes for the sport package. The dealer won't budge on the price on that 2.7T, but I found two 2000 2.7Ts (6-speed) in the area. Practically identical: ~65K miles, fairly common options (heated seats, CD changer, etc). One of them has had the 60K service done, the other one has not. I am pretty sure I can get either for $14000. I am going to look at the one that had the service done first, and hope to buy one of them tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

Old 08-20-2005, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear

LUCK!!
Sorry I only check this on the weekend usually. I would have replied.
I like the 2.7 T a lot better but I hear a lot of people talking about probs so be careful with that. There are a lot of good car problem peeps on here so bug us if something comes up. Oh and 6 speed so the way to go. I have an auto and I hate it because it is so luxuary... it won't accel. I would say for the least repairs the 2.8/ 3.0 is your best choice. Too late now but the 2.7 engine is good too.