Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an A6...possibly

Old 09-10-2011, 11:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Buying an A6...possibly

Hi, im new to the forum but know that this will be the best place to find out about the issues i recently found on a car i viewed today.
It was a 2004 A6 1.9tdi Limited Edition. The car is in superb condition with only a few minor marks, however when i opened the boot there was a plastic panel that i knew was from the engine bay. So i lifted the bonnet and the plastic panel obviously covered the battery, pollen filter etc. I'm assuming the panel was removed to get access to the battery and left off!! next to the battery there is a sensor that was just loose, and it looks as if the sensor casing has broken off right next to the pollen filter. What does this sensor do? also, because the plastic panel has been left off, there is alot of rain water gathered beneath the battery. Are there any issues this water could cause? Ive asked the garage to fix the sensor, and drain the water, before i go back for another look. if anyone can answer these questions, or provide a close up picture of their own car so i could try to point out the parts a bit better, then i would really appreciate it. I don't want to have to drive my Ford for much longer!!!
Thanks

Old 09-10-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

First, Wilkommen to the forums

second, most of us are from North America and aren't privileged enough to have knowledge of the 1.9 TDI engine but we will help as much as we are able.

Third, yes that plastic panel that you mention is pretty important for keeping water and other gunk out of the inside of your car. If it looks anything like mine (and I suspect it should) the back of that panel will slide into a notch under the windshield, and the front of the panel should be held down by a long bit of rubber (like the ones along the sides of the engine compartment.)

the sensor that you see there is called the fresh air sensor, or something like that. I have mine zip tied to the box that holds the pollen filter. IIRC it monitors the outside air temperature that is being drawn into the climate control system to regulate the amount of heat/cooling applied to heat/cool the interior of the car (sorry I'm a bit tired, hope that makes sense).

Finally, there should not be any water pooling under the battery. There is a drain there that can get clogged. This is a known Audi issue (search battery drain). Any water that pools there has the potential to leak into the passenger compartment. Often the floor on the passenger side of the car will get wet. This is where the transmission control module is located. if that gets wet=big problem.

good luck

Old 09-10-2011, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for replying. I've recently found out that the water enters the 'inside' of the car by spilling over the pollen filter. I'm hoping that because the car has been sat still, the water has not touched the pollen filter, and by unblocking the drain, no further problems should be encountered.
The car has only had one owner, registered to Volkswagon Group, so i'm assuming that it is an ex-company/pool car. It has 7 service stamps upto 88,000; the car has now done 91,000. I can't find anything mechanically wrong with the car, but due to it standing still the battery was flat and so i havent heard the engine running yet...what should i be listening for when i go back to the garage? Are there any things i should check before parting with my cash?
Once again, thanks for any help