Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 2000 4.2L -- ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Default C5 2000 4.2L -- ABS light on

hello again, my 2nd post on this car for now..

My indy says his vag com is not bringing any codes for the abs module, even though it sees it. I've read about the various places to send the abs module for repair and they look like a good idea. However, is it possible something else is wrong?

He says I don't have abs, and suspects it's something electrical.

btw, how do I tell which module the car has? Module master shows 2 possible modules, the 5.3 and 5.7. I believe the 5.3 is for my car and the 5.7 for 2002 and newer.

Any advice would be a big help.

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
3rd Gear

First find a new mechanic. Your car did come with ABS and if he is telling you that there is no ABS looking at the ABS module, then there is something wrong with the guy.

Second, is he really using VAGcom? If the ABS light is on when VAGcom is connected, then it should read a fault code. If the ABS module does not connect to the VAGcom, then the module is most likely bad. It can be simple as loose connection on one of the wheel sensors. Anyways, VAGcom will tell you that.

As for the 5.3 vs 5.7, there is a clear description of how to identify on Module Master website.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
First find a new mechanic. Your car did come with ABS and if he is telling you that there is no ABS looking at the ABS module, then there is something wrong with the guy.

Second, is he really using VAGcom? If the ABS light is on when VAGcom is connected, then it should read a fault code. If the ABS module does not connect to the VAGcom, then the module is most likely bad. It can be simple as loose connection on one of the wheel sensors. Anyways, VAGcom will tell you that.

As for the 5.3 vs 5.7, there is a clear description of how to identify on Module Master website.
I don't think you interpreted what he said correctly. When the mechanic said that there was no ABS, I bet he meant that it WASN'T WORKING; not that it did not come with the car. And the OP was simply asking if because the mechanic noticed that no codes were coming from the car/ABS - did it necessarily mean that there was a fault with the ABS module, and the answer is YES, there is a problem with the module.

If you need to see which module is which, use ModuleMaster.com's little thing here:http://www.modulemaster.com/en/abs/bosch53_57.php You should be able to figure out which one it is w/o having to take it off the vehicle.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:48 PM
2nd Gear

I think both of you managed to misread what kaminar said: "My indy says his vag com is not bringing any codes for the abs module". Not that there is no ABS, not that the ABS isn't working, just that there are no codes. But, he has an ABS light. I have seen this when the engine isn't running right, in my case the ignition amplifiers were dying.

SO, my question to Kaminar is: did you have ANY other codes and what were they?

Also, for the sake of completeness, exactly what does the light look like?

Bob

Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 AM

Thank all of you for your insights! I do apologize if I was a little unclear at first..in fact the car does have abs, but the light on the console was on. When the mechanic attached the vag com, he told me it brought back no codes, which was puzzling. I did mention that perhaps it may be a loose sensor at the wheel, but he thinks it's "electrical".

Not entirely sure what he means, but will speak to him asap to find out if there were any other codes..they will surely be helpful!

In addition, I will ask about ignition amplifiers..can you describe where they are located so I can sound a bit more intelligent when I do speak to him?

Thanks for the modulemaster link..I had visited the sight previously, but didn't realize they distinguished between the two. Luckily, I had already found that the 5.7. is for 2002 and newer models only and 5.3 for the older ones.

Thank you all!