Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 A6 rear light somitems does not work

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
1st Gear
Default C5 A6 rear light somitems does not work

Hi folks!
My A6 C5 1997 (1998 model) has a strange problem - sometimes the rear left light does not work. Together with it I also loose central console ilumination: the radio and clima are completely dark. The broken lamp warning is displayed on the display. I stopped and tried to check wire connections at the rear light, that didn't help. The bulb is OK, its connection also is OK. I also tried to move fuses - that also didnt help. Then I left it, switched on the rear fog light and drove my way. After some minutes driving all lights are back on, warning signal dissapears. All this has hapened several times already. Is this kind of defect usual, any ideas where to search for loose wire or something?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: C5 A6 rear light somitems does not work

A loose ground first comes to mind. My Volvo used to do this all the time with the tail lights only though. I had to replace the ground to fix it. Simple to do, just never did it. I would try finding where your illumination grounds are and your tail light grounds are. I believe your tail light grounds are (1) near right taillight) and (2) left side luggage compartment. Sorry I can't be more specific, just looking at the Bentley manual.

On second thought, how about a bad headlight switch, all those lights have one thing in common, the headlights being on. Get out your multimeter.