Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Filter - Beware...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Site Moderator

Thats close to the 96, except he doesn't need to remove any torx screws or the wiper blades, other than that its pretty much the same.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 PM

My 1996 A6 Quattro 2.8L had the spring to the inside air flap break loose. The inside and outside flaps are connected to the same links. The inside air flap can be removed to get at the broken spring anchor and to replace the old vacuum hose for the air flap actuator. The spring anchors at a small hole next to the hole were the vacuum actuator is mounted. The plastic had cracked at this anchor hole and would no longer hold the spring. I fabricated from thin soft copper sheet a bracket that has a hole for the actuator and a hole for the spring. I used aluminum foil to get an impression of the actuator and spring holes and the surounding plastic.
There were a lot of leaves in the bottom of the air box, but I didn't see an air filter.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by a6hcw
My 1996 A6 Quattro 2.8L had the spring to the inside air flap break loose. The inside and outside flaps are connected to the same links. The inside air flap can be removed to get at the broken spring anchor and to replace the old vacuum hose for the air flap actuator. The spring anchors at a small hole next to the hole were the vacuum actuator is mounted. The plastic had cracked at this anchor hole and would no longer hold the spring. I fabricated from thin soft copper sheet a bracket that has a hole for the actuator and a hole for the spring. I used aluminum foil to get an impression of the actuator and spring holes and the surounding plastic.
There were a lot of leaves in the bottom of the air box, but I didn't see an air filter.
Good job, McGyver

You know, I was wondering about the lack of a filter, hence the reason I said I coudn't believe the previous owner didn't put one in.
Maybe it really shouldn't have one, but the cabin/pollen filter fit(s) in there as it was meant for that slot!
This makes me think to at least a couple of scenarios:
A) The older (95, 96, 97, X) 2.8L models don't have a cabin filter, even though the slot is there.
B) The older models do have one, and that's indeed where it should go, but the previous owner had no clue of it and never used one (hence the huge amount of leaves build-up)

After reading your post, I must admit a little doubt that I did the right thing by inserting a filter crippled in... In addition, the dreadful bentley (yes, no capital letter...) manual mentions no cabin filter...

So I started googling for a little bit:

1) Look on page 55, for the "Audi A6 (C4) from 1995-1997"

2) Also another source:

3) And yet another source in pdf form which I altered in P-shop:

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  21.4 KB
Name:  04.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  55.6 KB
Name:  05.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  31.2 KB
Name:  06.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  45.8 KB
Name:  07.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  23.9 KB
Name:  08.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  19.7 KB

Even though after looking at these pics it looks like my steps where a little off, at this point I would say that it is safe to put a filter in.
Don' t you?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 AM
1st Gear

chefro, do you have any step by step for the C6 HVAC filter change? Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by the G man
chefro, do you have any step by step for the C6 HVAC filter change? Thanks
Yes sir, no problem. I pull one out of the hat :

it looks like you have to take the glove box out

Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Thank chefro, That doesnt look as easy the the C5. Any idea how that side piece comes off, does it just snap off? Do I need to discount the glove box light, CD player and the Ipod interface to drop the glove box?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:05 PM
3rd Gear

That dashboard side piece probably comes off the same way as the fuses cover do.

As far as disconnecting your glove box wiring connections, it depends on the length of the wires. I don't know what you have in there, but you may be able to get away with just lowering the glove box without unhooking everything electrical in there.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

I am sorry chefro, I just realize you have a 95 A6. I thought the C6 in your signature was your car

Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Site Moderator

Those instructions are wack, you do NOT have to take out the glove box. Do you really think mechanics take out the glove box to change out the pollen filters? Just get under the car and pop down the front panel like i told you and reach up there. Taking off the glove box is way too much work for a pollen filter.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by the G man
I am sorry chefro, I just realize you have a 95 A6. I thought the C6 in your signature was your car
I don't have a C6 in the signature, and I don't know what are you sorry for.
You asked for C6 instructions and I provided them.
Obviously the MANN people are very misleading. You can surely get under the car. By the time you jack up the car and get under there, probably you would have taken off two glove boxes, not only one.

So, I'm the one who's sorry for passing along erroneous information.
My apology.

Quick Reply: Cabin Filter - Beware...