Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone help me clarify this

Old 08-06-2015, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Can someone help me clarify this

Hi all,

So I sent my car to a local Audi dealer for the standard 105000km service. The car was OK, nothing wrong with it, just I had to top-up the oil few times in the last few months due to the warning coming up (based on the advise from the Audi service center who told me it's normal for Audi supercharged cars). Today I received a call that my car needs around 10K USD worth of repairs ! Obviously I asked for details, and they sent me a break down of the items they suggested me to fix.

I took snapshots from the quotation and I attached it in the PDF file below (I removed few jobs related to mirrors and backrest). Apparently Job9 and Job4 are very urgent, the rest can wait. Can someone please have a look at it and let me know if it makes sense ? How can a car which drives very well suddenly have a 10K USD worth of repairs ? And for example Job5 is related to air bags, why on earth do I need to replace the airbags, and shouldn't these be covered under warranty ?

Audi_A6_Service.pdf

My car is A6 3.0T Supercharged year 2011 Model Code 4F20VL. It might be also worth mentioning that I am not the first owner, I bought it 9 months ago.

Your help and advise would be greatly appreciated !

Old 08-06-2015, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Any help please ? I need to make a decision on whether I should commit to paying all this money or not

Old 08-07-2015, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear

That's some kind of joke, right? Total bill is almost $ 34,000 if you do all the recommended jobs. $12k alone to remove and disassemble the engine and gearbox to replace seals/gaskets. another $5k to replace an Airbag for "fading".
For that kind of money I'll give the car back and buy something new/used in better condition

Old 08-08-2015, 12:05 AM
2nd Gear

Obviously you shouldn't have all of this done. It looks like this is 65,000 miles worth of maintenance that was never done by the previous owner(s) and Audi is alerting you that all of that stuff hasn't been addressed since it was assembled back in 2011.

The timing chain service is the most expensive one on there since the engine needs to be removed from the car. I would ask them specifically where the oil is leaking from. (Almost looks like they suspect the head gaskets to be faulty/leaking)

From what I've heard about the 3.0 with the chain is that the chain guides will actually wear down before the chain or sprockets do. I believe they start going around 150,000 miles or so. This might be them trying to be overly cautions and do that at the same time while the engine is out.

Focus your efforts on correcting the oil leak and getting the exhaust leak fixed, then followed by the suspension issue.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Thank you Nebuchadnezzar and sheldon. I followed your advise and I requested only job9 (oil leak) to be fixed for the time being. Nebuchadnezzar, I have the car history and all the services have been performed as per the schedule so far, and nothing skipped, that's why I was surprised to see all this.

They promised me a major discount on that job, and as they promised the bill for that job was dropped down to 7116 from 12520 (this is in local currency btw: 3.67 per 1 USD). So I paid and took the car back home and only then I had the chance to compare the two cost estimates. It seems that in the new job : Can someone help me clarify this-job9_again_1.png Can someone help me clarify this-job9_again_2.png . Now if you look closely and compare, there are major labour cost reduction due to the fact that they decided not to dismantle the engine and the gearbox, but what's also more interesting is that they decided to replace only 2 sealants instead of 3, and replace 4 gaskets instead of 2. And they screwed me by charging me for car detailing that I didn't even request (on the phone they just said they will give me a complimentary detailing).

Now I don't trust these guys at all, mind you they are the only authorised Audi dealer in the city !

I am not expert in cars, but I am an engineer and I have a sense of what they might have done. I think they skipped the engine sealant replacement, thus reducing majority of the cost associated with it, and told me that they gave me a major discount for the same job. AND they made me pay for the detailing they said it's for free. I feel like an idiot now

Now, even though I want to do some of the other jobs, I am now worried that the same story will happen again. Can you guys help me identify what can be an urgent job to do next and how can I verify it without relying on the dealer?