Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet is soaked

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Default Carpet is soaked

My 1995 A6 is still leaking, even after i cleared the plugged rear moon roof drains. So i got to looking at
the seals on the back windshield, and it looks like this could be where it is leaking in. i had the rear seat out when it rained so i could see if it was coming in back there, the water is travling down the right side of the car along where its close to the door and where the wires and vaccum lines are.. So anyways, i need to take my carpet out and my seats, i got the 2 front floor bolts out of the fronts of the seats but cannot fig out how to remove the seats from there tracks that is on each side of theseat in the backbolted to the sides of the car. My ecu has already been soaked allong with the security system brain and door lock control box causing a electrical mess. Any help on removing the seats and how to get the carpet out would be very much appreciated, this is my first time having an Audi and i love it, she has 186,000 miles on her and drives and sounds like shes brand new, so i really want take care of this problem asap.. thanks everyone

Old 12-23-2006, 05:27 PM
iho
1st Gear
Default RE: Carpet is soaked

Soon after I bought my 1998 A6 Avant I found about two inches of water covering the carpets. With some advice from the local dealer this is how I solved what seems to be a common problem with cars a few Years old.

1) Use a big sponge to soak up and remove all of the visible water from above the carpet.
2) Go to the local carwash and use their vacuum cleaner to suck a lot more of the water from all over the carpets, leaving then damp.
3) Put lots of newspaper over the damp carpets. This will soak up the rest of the water if you keep changing the paper every day for a week or so ( most of the remaining water will have drained into the lowest part of the footwells).

Having got the carpets dry you need to deal with the source of the leak. It is almost certainly coming in through the aircon vents above the driver's and front passenger's feet. Have a look there and feel to see if the carpeting around them is damp. If it is then that's where your problem lies. Rainwater from the roof, the windscreen and the bonnet (as we call it in the UK) gathers in a deep well in the back of the engine bay. when you accelerate or drive up hill the water (gallons of it!) pours back over the scuttle below the windscreen and then swirls around the aircon inlet. The inlet is just a rectangular hole that holds the plastic 'box' containing the pollen filter and there is enough space for the rainwater to pour through and into the footwells. This is what you need to do now -

1) Remove the rubber seal that runs across the engine bay above the engine and then pull off the slotted plastic facia that runs across the bay.
2) The trough-shaped member that crosses the engine bay below the battery is the one that holds the rainwater. This is because the two small rubber grommets filling the drainholes become blocked over time and the water cannot drain away. If you remove the battery you can get to one to clean it but the other is difficult to reach below some equipment. The easiest thing to do is just push both of the grommets out with a long screwdriver. This should solve the basic problem but it is worth doing one more thing.
3) Remove the plastic holder for the pollen filter and refit it using some sealing compound to waterproof the join - very awkward to do but well worth the effort.

I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS - BEST OF LUCK.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:51 AM
3rd Gear

Remove the entire seat and rail assembly together. Theres four bolts. Two in the front in the end of the rails and two in the rear. They are all tripple squares, 12 point internals.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

If its you front footwell thats wet its almost certainly the blocked drain under your battery tray as iho explained. It happened to me and my brothers cars in the same way. Cleared the drain and no more water. Problem solved.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:54 AM
1st Gear

Hi there,If its your front footwells(either side) then its most likely the windscreen.
I had the very same problem very recently..Where the windscreen wipers are on the out side,there is a wide 3" wide plastic cover(the wiper arms go through it), if you remove this and at the bottom of the windscreen you will see a rubber seal..... Mine was leaking past this and into the pollen filter and onto the passenger floor...
I tried putting clear silicon on this seal and then put the wide plactic cover back,but as i was tapping the cover back(it slots into a groove where that seal is)it cracked my windscreen.. So i had to change the windscreen any way(luckly through my insurance).... so be carefull

But it did solve the problem straight away.

Mine is an 2001a6 2.5tdi(180 bhp)tip avant, I take it they are all the same

Hope this is of some help

Mick